BigFix 11 upgrade times

Just wanted to leave a note, be aware that the upgrade to BigFix 11 takes a bit longer than previous upgrades. The upgrade updates digital signatures on all of the content that exists on the server, which takes longer than minor upgrades like 10.0.8 to 10.0.9. In some cases this may take hours.

I’ll be posting later some methods to assure yourself that the upgrade is still progressing, but during the upgrade please have patience and don’t try to interrupt the process.

7 Likes

Last week I upgraded our Dev environment from 10.0.8 to 11 running on Windows 2019 / office box SQL2016, and noticed it was taking longer than I remembered… good to know I wasn’t crazy :smiley:

Our upgrade went off very smoothly, no issues. I had about 3 issues when I did 10.0.8, due to changes in HTTP downloads and such.

1 Like

Hence the reason I put this in, https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFLCM-I-157

VOTE VOTE VOTE !!!

1 Like

You had 3 hours? WOW! That’s pretty crazy.

When I said it took a bit longer, I meant like just ~10min.

See my idea above. Status and percent completed in the dialog is badly needed. Idea in the system for over a year.

Depending on the system in question the logs have a great deal of info on the upgrade status.
You can see the current component, you can see when it passes the torch to DB2 (if Linux), you can then follow the DB2 logs.

There is info there, it’s just easily on the front end. There is nothing in BF (patch) that has a “percent completed” component, don’t think you’ll be seeing this any time soon.

Computers can do anything we ask them to do. We invented the darn things. I am not convinced we cannot produce percent updates in the upgrade dialog.

That’s going to be in an upcoming release of the platform. I can’t speak to what version at the moment though.