Bigfix 10 migration from old to new server with same license masthead?

Hello, New here. We currently have BigFix 10.0.9 installed on a 2012 windows server (along with ILMT 9.2.31) and looking to move/migrate this to a new 2022 windows server. What would be the best, easiest, safest option to migrate this from one server to the other ? Would we be able to use the existing license/masthead/keys and copy that over from one server to another ? Or would we need to get a new license and start with a fresh license/masthead ? We are looking to use the current SQL databases and not change those and copy those over from old to new server. I am fairly new to this system and inherited it from another person no longer around. Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks !

To use the existing masthead you need to be able to access the new computer using the name in the original masthead - either by manipulating DNS or simply giving the new server the name & address of the old server - then follow the instructions in https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/t_mgrt_rootapp_server.html

The other option is to build a parallel infrastructure, copy your custom content across, then move the clients by sending them the new masthead.

I have done both, and prefer the option of backing up the old server, shutting it down, bringing up the new server using the original name & address then restoring the data

There are plentry of theads to be found on this forum discussing the options

Thanks @trn I feel in our environment and upper mgmt will lean towards the safer solution of running a parallel system and migrating the content, clients, etc over and then we have the old server as backup in case of issues or have to revert. So I assume if we go that route, then we will need a new license/masthead, install that on the new server and then install BigFix Server/console software and then migrate clients ? Or does the new license/masthead get put on the old server somewhere ?

It isn’t really safer.

If the new server fails to build/install correctly, just down it (or rename & re-address it) and bring the original back up.

If you do go for a parallel install, you just need to upload a copy of the new masthead on the old server and have a task to copy it to clients and restart the BESClient service.

Read the documentation, search through this forum for helpful threads and practice on a test system.

And you can raise a pre-emptive case with HCL to explain what you are doing and there will be support available while you do the work.

1 Like