BFI Migrate VM Manager from Centralized to Distributed

Does anyone know of any documentation to move a BFI VM Manager from centralized (living on the first datasource’s root server) to a distributed deployment? We want the VM Manager to be running on the BFI App server. We have about 50 VM Managers currently configured in the centralized mode and want to port them to the distributed once we’ve installed the scanner.

If I’m reading this correctly, you want to offload the BigFix root server by moving the VM Manager tool function to the BFI server. I am curious as to your reasoning for making this switch.

Like you, I don’t see any documentation for this scenario. You’ll probably want to open a case with HCL and get support to work with you on migrating to a distributed approach.

Our BFI is considered prod and has 2 datasources (bigfix dev and bigfix prod). If our BigFix DEV is down, the BFI import fails, causing an impact to our BFI prod. We shouldn’t have dev impacting prod.

However, with bigfix dev being our first datasource in BFI, we had deployed VM Managers and the root server of the first datasource is where it automatically installs the centralized VM Manager. Our plan is to remove the bigfix dev datasource, stop using centralized VM Manager and switch to distributed while having it run on our BFI server.

Then we’ll probably have to use the disconnected scanner manually to get the BigFix dev scan results into BFI.

Yes, i’ll open a case with HCL and request the steps.

1 Like