BFI cross-OS catalog detextion?

Curious whether anyone’s tried this yet. In my environment we’ll need to detect software installations on disk that don’t match the scanning operating system.

For example a Linux host with Windows applications shared out via Samba, or an AIX host with Linux applications shared via NFS.

Does the scanner filter the catalog to only scan for applications matching the current operating system? Do I need to configure clients of each OS type to scan remotely?

In the standard configuration, each computer only gets the portion of the catalog that applies to its OS:

Catalog-based scan
In this type of scan, the BigFix server creates scanner catalogs that are sent to the endpoints. Based on those catalogs, the scanner discovers exact matches and sends its findings to the server. Scanner catalogs do not include signatures that can be found based on the list of file extensions nor entries that are irrelevant for a particular operating system.

I think you may be in the advanced scenario described here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSKLLW_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.inventory.doc/Inventory/planinconf/t_collecting_data_shared_disks.html

1 Like

Thanks much! Appreciated