Best practices for custom logging from BigFix actions

I often want to have a log created from the running executable that I am using in an action.

I typically use the BES Client log folder as the location to put these logs. I’m not sure if this is the best option, but I would definitely recommend against creating files in most other locations under the client folder due to potential conflicts and problems that could happen.

Examples:
http://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/3902

Simplified actionscript:

waithidden dcu-cli.exe /silent /log "{ (pathname of folder "__BESData\__Global\Logs" of parent folder of client) }\Logs_DellUpdate"

This particular app always logs into a folder, not a file. There are actually multiple files created.

Thank You for your advice. I guess this never gets old. I ran to a problem copying log files to what I thought was a good place. A temp location on the C: drive. The permission on the folders were not the same across all workstations in my environment and deployments to these workstations failed. However the permission in the BES Client log location was accessible across all desktops. Changing to this location worked.

1 Like