BESConsole issue - "class CopiedStdException"

Has anyone ever seen an issue with BESconsole (running on Windows 2008R2) where everything seems to load properly, but as soon as you click on any computer to look at details it pops up a window with the heading “Unexpected Error” and the message -

The IBM Bigfix Console has encountered an error and is unable to complete your request.
If you choose to ignore this error, the application may be in an inconsistent state. If you choose to quit, you will lose any unsaved changes.

The diagnostic message is:
class CopiedStdException

And at the bottom I can either “Exit without saving” or “Ignore” - ignoring is not helpful, as the error simply pops back up.

I tried clearing out the Bigfix directory under C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Bigfix ( I removed the entire directory ), but BESConsole recreated the dir and gave me the same error…

This is on one particular machine. I am able to connect without issues from a Windows 7 machine, no errors. Any ideas? Thanks!

Clearing the cache was a good first move, but I think you should have done it via File > Preferences > Clear Cache within the Console. You could also see if the Caching options (Always load, Keep partial, Keep full) match what they do on a working system.

1 Like

Have you enabled logging for the console? That could give you more details about the problem.

1 Like

I just tried this - I cleared the cache from the preferences, restarted BESConsole, and (after loading) it crashed in the same way as soon as I tried to actually do anything, with same error - “class CopiedStdException”.

I took a look at the caching prefs and on the the machine where everything is working it is set to Keep Full, Moderate Expire - same as on the machine with the problems.

I have not enabled logging for BESConsole yet - it looks like this requires a mild registry tweak, I got the info from -
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21505990

I will try this next and see what happens… thanks for the suggestions :stuck_out_tongue:

I enabled logging, so far with EnabledLogs set to all, and it is of course quite verbose. I do see the following lines that are surely relevant in the besconsole.log file. I only gave one line of context because I’m not sure the log lines after the exception (Top Level exception / TOP LEVEL STD EXCEPTION) have anything to do with the exception itself… Perhaps I should open a PMR ?

Here are the exception lines from the log -

Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:04 -0400 – Top level exception
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:04 -0400 – TOP LEVEL STD EXCEPTION: 000000003C2BF088
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:04 -0400 – Entering GET data/property-results

Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:13 -0400 – Top level exception
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:13 -0400 – TOP LEVEL STD EXCEPTION: 000000003FAC8688
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:13 -0400 – Entering EvaluateDomainRelevance: exists wizards whose (document flag of it AND (NOT exists menu path of it OR menu path of it does not equal “”) AND name of it does not equal “” AND dashboard id of it does not contain “DomainDashboard.ojo” AND dashboard id of it does not contain “AllOSOverview.ojo”) of all bes sites whose (name of it contains “BES Support”)

Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:29 -0400 – TOP LEVEL STD EXCEPTION: 0000000047996BF8
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:29 -0400 – RunOneForegroundTask(): 21 tasks in queue
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:29:29 -0400 – Entering class ForegroundTaskFunction

Odd, I just got BESConsole working on the impacted machine by starting it as admin (right click, Run as administrator). No problems running this way.

I wonder what it is about my profile that isn’t being cleaned up by either manual deletion or preferences -> clear cache, or its something else entirely…