BESAgent (BigFix Agent for Linux)

Dear Team,

This is regarding the BESAgent (BigFix Agent for Linux).

Currently we are in 9.5.14.73 (Patch 14) version & BigFix Console version 9.5.14.73.

Could you please let us know whether update to (9.5.20.34) (patch 20) level of BESAgent (BigFix Agent for Linux) is possible with the BigFix Console version 9.5.14.73?

Can we have clients with the same major version, but with a higher patch level than the one on the server?

[root@sXXXXXX ~]# rpm -qi BESAgent.x86_64
Name : BESAgent
Version : 9.5.14.73
Release : rhe6
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Wed 04 Mar 2020 11:02:23 AM CET
Group : Applications/Security
Size : 54108893
License : © Copyright HCL Technologies Limited 2001-2019 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Tue 15 Oct 2019 01:33:06 AM CEST, Key ID f103a7e2160
Source RPM : BESAgent-9.5.14.73-rhe6.src.rpm
Build Date : Mon 14 Oct 2019 11:18:25 PM CEST
Build Host : platbuild-rhel-6-x86-64-2.platform.bes.prod.hclpnp.com
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : HCL Technologies Limited
Vendor : HCL Technologies Limited
URL : http://www.bigfix.com/
Summary : BigFix Agent
Description :
BigFix Agent for Linux.
Used in conjunction with BigFix server components to manage a Linux-based computer.

Thanks,
Dilip

I don’t think it is officially recommended situation BUT I have done it on numerous occasions and it works for what it is worth… If you have good enough justification (maybe the newer version of the client has bug fix you need or new functionality you want to take advantage of, or whatever) you can do it. I would suggest start slowly - upgrade a few clients only and test how essential processes work, and only then target bigger numbers.

Thanks a lot for your feedback @ageorgiev. Could you please let me know where can I find official recommendation procedure of DO n DONT’s for these patch updates?

I wouldn’t know, not officially part of HCL, so just shared my personal experience on the subject. If you want an official stance, please open a support case and ask the question - they would give you the official recommendation on the subject.

ok thank you @ageorgiev

Same major.minor version (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ENDPOINTS SERVING AS A RELAY / ETC) should be “safe” (but not recommended) to be at a higher build.

So a 9.5.20.34 client will work with a 9.5.14.73 deployment. A 10.x client on a 9.5 deployment should not be considered “safe”. If you are doing more than a handful or so, then you really should be looking to upgrade your deployment first.