BES scanner - Asset discovery

(imported topic written by kaushalw91)

I have installed BES scanner and Nmap 3.0. Tried scanning for the client but there were no results. I tried with Nmap 4.0, no results. I rebooted the system after installing Nmap. I followed all the guidlines on the site. There is no firewall or any program blocking the scan.

Please advise.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hello kaushalw,

Are you referring to the NMAP scanner itself or are you using our Fixlet site “Asset Discovery” (more info at: http://support.bigfix.com/bes/sites/assetdiscovery.html)?

Ben

(imported comment written by kaushalw91)

Hi Ben, I saw the site before. I am referring to NMAP scanner. I dont have any Fixlet for Asset discovery. I downloaded BES Scanner.zip, extracted it and executed. I tried with NMAP 3 and NMAP 4, but I was not able to get any results on my desktop.

(imported comment written by jessewk)

You cannot just download the scanner piece and get it to work. You’ll need to subscribe to the Asset Discovery site.

If you already have the site, see the

usage instructions

If you don’t have the site but think you might be entitled to it, licensing@bigfix.com.

If you don’t have the site and are interested in demoing it, contact your sales rep.

Jesse

Hi kaushalw,

The “BES Scanner” has been replaced a long time ago by the “BigFix Asset Discovery” Fixlet site that is much more powerful than the old standalone BES Scanner. We don’t support the BES Scanner anymore.

Here is more info on Asset Discovery:

http://support.bigfix.com/bes/sites/assetdiscovery.html

Ben

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Quick question regarding the OS reference for Unamanaged assets. I’m wondering where the OS information is pulled from? Is it a best guess based on the MAC? Is this information pulled from the internet so it is most current or some embedded table in the underlying nmap software?

Thanks

Hey j2johnson,

The OS is guessed at based on a sophsticated OS fingerprinting scheme that uses the network responses to differentiate OS types… Here is a lot more info on it for you:

http://nmap.org/book/man-os-detection.html

Ben

(imported comment written by mcalvi91)

are there any plans to allow the relevance to install on win2k8 server?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hi mcalvi,

we are currently updating our Asset Discovery content and as part of that project we will update the “Designate Nmap Scan Point” task to support installation on Windows 2008 Server.

Anna

(imported comment written by gsmith91)

Anna,

When do you expect the new Asset Discovery tasks to be available? I am wanting to evaluate this functionality but the servers identified to host this function are Windows 2008.

Thanks,

Glynn Smith

annamin

Hi mcalvi,

we are currently updating our Asset Discovery content and as part of that project we will update the “Designate Nmap Scan Point” task to support installation on Windows 2008 Server.

Anna

(imported comment written by JasonO91)

Are there issues with simply changing the relevance to allow for installation on a windows 2008 server? I understand that it may not be a supported configuration, but it might help until there is a supported version that installs on win 2k8.

Jason

Hey Jason,

You can try it, but I believe something about Win2008 causes NMAP to not work the way we want it to so there is some work for us to support it… but I can check on that…

Ben