BES Relay Affiliation not working

Hi to all,

We need to implement Relay Affiliation in our infrastructure.

I have done some tests, and it seems to work fine, except in one thing. When the agent moves from one of our offices to another (we have more than 300 all with the same advertisement list), the agent stills connect to the last relay that he was connected.

I’ve seen that if I remove the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions\hostselector

and restart the agent it connect immediately to the nearest relay.

Is there anything that I can do to solve this issue?

Thanks in Advance
Bruno

By default, the client will prefer the last relay it selected if it is still available, subject to some settings to control how long to go between new relay selections.

For a client moving between sites, the best option may be to configure _BESClient_RelaySelect_AlwaysOnIPListChange to ‘1’ on the clients. That will perform a new relay select whenever the client’s IP address changes (such as moving between sites or connecting a VPN).

2 Likes

If you haven’t seen it, the list of client settings at https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html is also worth a read-through.

You might have some use for _BESClient_RelaySelect_MaximumTTLToPing depending on your network architecture and how many network hope the client should try when doing a relay select.

2 Likes

Many thanks Jason.

I’ve already changed the maximum _BESClient_RelaySelect_MaximumTTLToPing because of Homeoffice computers.

In addition to @JasonWalker prior posts, I’ve found it helpful to set a custom property named _BESClient_NetSignature. Additional details regarding this setting can be found on this forum post as well as my Generic BESClient Default Settings fixlet from my personal GitHub.

If you’re looking for additional custom BESClient properties to assist with BESRelay affiliation, please checkout this forum post or my IPSubnetInfo content that’s also on my private GitHub.