I am currently having an issue with random systems having the BES client lockup after reboots. I have determined the root cause, but want to explain what is happening in case anyone else is seeing this issue
When the system is in this state, the service starts and I can see the client log file updating until it freezes at the entry:
Encryption: optional encryption with no certificate; reports in cleartext
If I try to stop the service, it will fail to stop and the service state will report “Stopping”. I can end task the service and it will let me restart it, but it still will hang at the above message.
I have determined that the root cause is a call to the Win32_ServerFeature class which seems to be having an issue with not returning data. When I log on to the problem system and use wbemtest with the query “SELECT * FROM Win32_ServerFeature”, the status will report “Operation in progress…” and never return. Any other WMI query is working fine (except Win32_QuickFixEngineering see below). I have seen the same issue on multiple servers. Once the server is rebooted, it seems to clear up the issue.
I have a PMR open with IBM to look into this issue (opened before I determined that WMI was the issue) and a bug was opened to look into a method to timeout the call to WMI.
I had a custom managed property that did the following
if ((name of it contains “Win2008” or name of it contains “Win2012”) of operating system) then (if (exists wmi) then (exists string values of properties “Name” of select objects “* from Win32_ServerFeature where Name = ‘Remote Desktop Services’” of wmi) else (false)) else (false)
There is also the analysis “Installed Windows Patches Information” in the BigFix Labs site that uses Win32_QuickFixEngineering that also seems to have the same issue.