BES Client log - Relevance substitution failed

Hello!
In our infrastructure we have found some endpoints that cannot execute a simple action script code. The error registered on client log is ‘Relevance substitution failed’. As example, these clients cannot understand this code:

appendfile {( pathname of client folder of current site) & "/__GTS/GTS_config.txt"}

We are working with recently updated Server and relays at 9.5.9, and clients 9.5.4.
The agents with this behaviour are windows and linux (all the same version) and I only see one common point: the console property ‘BES Client Version’ returns as <not reported>.

The ‘BES Client reset’ task [ID:1976] doesn’t works (tested).

The simple way is reinstall the BESClient (I think), but part of conflictive agents are on isolated network and I do not have access to it. So I’m searching for an alternative.

Any suggestion are welcome!

The above observations suggest an issue with the Client installation. I’d recommend opening a Support case to identify the current state of the Clients, and how they reached it. That should help us better address it in the future, and may open up a path to remediate.

In the meantime, you can likely workaround this particular relevance substitution error a number of ways (but I naturally wouldn’t suggest that as a solution here).

Hello Aram!
Yes, I have opened a Support case and I’m working now with them trying to solve this.
I have seen too than not all ‘relevance substitution’ fails, so I will test if the relevance above isn’t compatible with the 9.5.9 infrastructure version.
And yes, a big number of the problematic clients are the result of a besclient migration using a batch file (the reason for do that this way is I don’t have access to source bigfix environtment) and maybe the process is not the best.
The basis of that task is this IBM Community post

Hello, I found the problem.

The commands included on our migration batch file has ‘mistakes’:
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient /v EnterpriseClientFolder /t REG_SZ /d ^"C:\\Program Files%AAA%\\BigFix Enterprise\\BES Client\\^" /f %X64%
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v StoragePath /t REG_SZ /d ^"C:\\Program Files%AAA%\\BigFix Enterprise\\BES Client^" /f %X64%

The double backslash on paths are the source of this issue.
In one endpoint I have changed this values (single backslash) and the client has recovered the good way.

Now, I’m trying to modify this reg values on the rebel endpoints with this task:

delete __createfile
delete c:\temp\recoverBES.bat

createfile until __EOF__
@echo off
echo Export Bigfix registry
reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix c:\temp\Bigfix_1.reg /reg:32
echo BESClient stop
net stop BESClient
echo Modify mistakes on registry values
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient /v EnterpriseClientFolder /f /reg:32
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v StoragePath /f /reg:32
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient /v EnterpriseClientFolder /t REG_SZ /d ^"C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\\^" /f /reg:32
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\GlobalOptions /v StoragePath /t REG_SZ /d ^"C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client^" /f /reg:32
echo BESClient start
net start BESClient
echo Export Bigfix registry (check changes)
reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix c:\temp\Bigfix_2.reg /reg:32
__EOF__

move __createfile "c:\temp\recoverBES.bat"
wait cmd /C "c:\temp\recoverBES.bat > c:\temp\Bigfix_3.log"
1 Like