Baselines and Behaviors

I feel like this is a newbie question, even though I have been using BigFix for ~10 years. And searching this forum, the docs, and Google have failed me.

When taking action on a Baseline, how are the Execution > Behavior settings applied?

Specifically, do the settings apply to each component of the baseline individually, or do they apply to the entire baseline?

For example, if I specify “Reapply this action whenever it becomes relevant again” does that only apply to the relevance for the baseline itself (i.e., as long as the relevance of baseline itself remains relevant it will continue to reapply ALL components of the baseline)?

Or does it apply to each individual component of the baseline, such that if one component becomes relevant again and a second component does not, only that first component will be reapplied?

I think the answer is yes to both.
A baseline only becomes relevant if 1 or more components within the baseline are relevant.

So, if the baseline becomes relevant again, the endpoint will rerun the baseline… but only those components inside the baseline that are relevant.

We do this with Windows patches and on rare occasion see a baseline reapply, but only say 1 patch from a total of 15 in a baseline. In our case, normally it’s related to a server that probably needed a good reboot before starting the baseline in the first place…

1 Like