Baseline running with different options

if i wanted to created a base line that install pragrams and reboots after a certain one or group is complete. the reboot and continue with other installs in a group what would be the best way to do it. i am trying to get a a program installed and let the user know to reboot via a post action item. then after the reboot resume the base line.

1 Like

You should do this by chain loading multiple baselines together.

Baseline1 does everything up until the reboot is needed, then does the reboot as the post action.

Baseline2 run only after Baseline1 has completed. (this can be accomplished with relevance)

If you reboot in the middle of a baseline, it will make baseline execution slow. Not recommended.

What is the item that requires the reboot?

we are doing an install of office 365 silently to about 600 users. we want them, to not know it is being installed then ask them to reboot then a script will run that will search and remove any old version of office they have.

You could:

1. Install Office 365
  2. Add script to uninstall old versions to the RunOnce key in the registry
  3. Reboot as post action

the perfered order would be install office -> message to reboot -> reboot -> install action complete -> message about uninstall -> uninstall action.

You could do that too. This doesn’t really require a baseline. The install fixlet/task would install if Office 365 is not installed and the uninstall fixlet/task would run if Office 365 is installed + another version of office.

2 separate fixlets/tasks, 2 separate actions, 2 separate messages / post actions.

1 Like

i have the two action as seperate task the issues i am facing is getting the unistall action to run after the reboot. when both are run together it does the unistall without user having to rebooting. however i do have it looking for the office folder and not the reg key.

You can put action requires restart at the end of the install action.

You can put relevance in the uninstall task to only be relevant if there is not a pending restart. This will prevent it from running the uninstallation before the reboot.

As long as your relevance is written correctly, then you shouldn’t need a baseline to chain actions together in a particular order. The main advantage of a baseline is to group actions together so then can be started and stopped together, but it is definitely best to have relevance of the individual fixlets/tasks make it so they only run when they should.

what relevant do i need to use for the uninstall .

(( exists key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\BESPendingRestart” of it AND not exists value “BESPendingRestart” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\BESPendingRestart” of it) of registry OR ( exists key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce” of it AND not exists value “BESPendingRestart” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce” of it) of registry) something like that?

You could just use the relevance

pending restart

as it looks at those registry entries and more

but i want it to start this action only after a tem reboot from a post action is done.

Thanks @AlanM.

You just need to add the relevance:

not pending restart

To the task that uninstalls the older versions of Office if Office 365 is installed.

thanks to both for your help but it is still not running how i would like it. maybe i am looking at this wrong. would there be a way to kick of an action after another action post as complete?

Do you have action requires reboot at the end of the first one? (I’m not certain if this is sufficient)

i have a post action for the user to see and click to reboot.

Try adding action requires reboot to the end of the actionscript that installs Office 365.

There needs to be something to cause the not pending restart relevance to cause that action to hold off until the reboot happens if the act of installing Office 365 doesn’t do that already.

http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/util/RunAsCurrentUser-2.0.3.1.exe
waithidden __Download\runascurrentuser.exe --w cmd.exe /c “C:\office15\icons.exe”
“action requires reboot”

like that?

Like This:

waithidden __Download\runascurrentuser.exe --w cmd.exe /c "C:\office15\icons.exe"

action requires reboot

okay thanks again that seem to get me where i wanted to be .

1 Like