Baseline: Fixlets for Win10 appear as applicable for Win8 machines

Hi everyone!,

I have a doubt regarding the patches that apply for Windows 8. Basically I was trying to create a baseline based on the fixlets for JAN18, but I do not understand Why do fixlets for Win10 appear?.

BigFix version 9.2.6 ( it does no have a web console)

Steps to add content to the baseline:

1. Group machines by OS: BigFix Console > All Content > Computer > by Retrieved Property > by OS Name > Win8.

2. Select all the computers > right Click > View as Group (This will create an Ad-Hoc Computer Group).

3. In the new group > go to the tab “Relevant Fixlet Messages” > select all the January fixlets.

Result: Appears fixlets for Win10, example KB4056893 (x64), but in Microsoft web page (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056893) says that it only applies for Win10 machines.

So what I am doing wrong? because If I select only the fixlet still appears a Win8 machine applicable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :blush:

Thanks!

Are you running an old agent on a Windows 10 machine?

The levels required for correct identification of a Windows 10 machine are

• Windows 10: Minimum Agent level 9.2.5
  • Windows 10 Anniversary Update & Creators Update: Minimum Agent level 9.5.3
  • Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later: Minimum Agent level 9.5.7.94

If you are below the agent level then the operating system can be identified incorrectly.

1 Like

Thanks @AlanM :relieved:

Right now I am under investigation to validate your solution… I just want to investigate before to validate your answer as the final solution.

1 Like

That is a really good point.

Also, you can update the client on the machines that are having this trouble without updating the root server. It is the official recommendation that the root server, relays, and clients all be kept as close to the same version as possible, but it is often required that for the NEWEST OSes, especially with macOS and Windows, that the newer agents are required.

It is possible that there is something else going on, but the agent version is definitely what I would check first.

1 Like

The “WinUnknown” is definitely an indication that the agent running is not supported on the OS the version is running on.

2 Likes

Thanks @AlanM,
Definitely this was the solution. Once I did the agent upgrade the machines showed the correct OS.

1 Like