Baremetal PXE issue with new model

We have an interesting case with a new Lenovo M720q model and being able to complete a PXE boot to image the device…

I have downloaded the appropriate drivers for WinPE 10 and they show up for this model (10T8S21L00) in the driver bindings.

During the PXE process, it downloads the boot.wim successfully but I get a “running in offline” mode message afterwards and something about falling back and the computer reboots…

If I Ctrl+C before before the “offline” message, I can run ipconfig but get no IP address (which i expected being offline).

From there I can plug in a flash drive that has the exact same driver that is bound to this model and run the following commands to load the driver and finish the PXE process, from there the computer images properly…

drvload e1d65x64.inf
x:
startnet.cmd

I have tried deleting the driver, syncing all the baremetal servers, and then adding a fresh copy of the driver back in. I even uninstalled and ran a cleanup of baremetal on one of the servers to start from scratch and it keeps doing the same thing…

We are running the newest baremetal 310.27 and MDT 3.10.10 1809

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi,
I suspect that the issue could deal with WinPE 10 release id 1803 and 1809, while using the latest MDT bundle 3.10.10. I suggest to open a case for the support team.
Thanks.

So i opened a PMR with Bigfix and after a couple of weeks they supplied me with some replacement files to use for my MDT bundle and we are back in business… For some reason this model takes longer to detect the network and it gives up but with the modified MDT bundle it tells it to keep trying… Issue appears to be resolved.

We had a similar issue when the HPE Gen10 servers were first released. After a lot of back and forth it “resolved itself” with an update to OSD a few months later.