Bandwidth throttling or data cap

Hi.

I am looking for settings regarding bandwidth throttling. Here’s the scenario.
Once the device is connected on a specific IP address or within on a subnet, the bandwidth to download files will be narrowed (from 100Mbps to 10 KBps).

I am hoping someone out there, has done this and can offer ideas/ best practices.

Thank you.

You can use Fixlet ID # 167

Deploy it using “Dynamically Target by Property”, there you can choose RP # “Subnet Address” & your desired subnet results for targeting.

You might also want to take a look into peer nest option-
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Config/c_P2P.html

Thank you for that.

If I deployed that fixlet on the specific IP address, then I will change location and the IP address will change, will the bandwidth will also change?

If you want to go by ip or location which will be changing for machines very frequently, it will not be easy to keep up with it.

In such scenario you have to go through multiple custom changes & policy actions, which will ensure whenever such changes happen desired action for adding/removal triggered.

You can create computer groups based on your location or better to create RP for tracking client location.

Post that you can trigger action based on such location or RP, for example -
Action 1 - intiate bandwidth throttling setting if machine falling in specific location.
Action 2 - remove bandwidth throttling if machine not part of specific location.

2 Likes

Check into using the Location Property Wizard. You can define a property mapping your throttled subnets to one value “Throttled”, and any unmatched subnets get the default value “N/A”.
Then you can take one Policy Action to throttle only on the limited subnets, and a second Policy Action to remove throttling on the “N/A” subnets.

1 Like