BackgroundAdviceEvaluation::StartFileLoop exception making problematic of

hey Community,
I have an endpoint that i stopped the bigfix agent on, deleted the __BESData folder, and restarted the agent. I do this whenever an endpoint is acting up and typically this just refreshes everything and all is well in the world. when I did this on one endpoint however I started to see the following error message in the logs:

BackgroundAdviceEvaluation::StartFileLoop exception making problematic of

after off it has every type of object you can think of:

fixlet (fixlet id)
action(action id)
site (side id)

and this list goes on and on.

on top of that the record for the endpoint in the console starts showing for all properties, so somehow it’s still reporting, just not properly.

Has anyone ever experienced this or know what may cause something like this??

thanks,
Raul Pedregon

1 Like

Hi, i’m seeing a similar issue on a single endpoint running v9.5.4 for Win2012R2 except this is on possibly a fresh client install.

Did you ever find a fix?

At 07:26:55 +0000 -
MFE: advicelist index too big in EasyBackgroundReceiver::Start
At 07:26:55 +0000 - CustomSite_WinCustomContent (http://root_server:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/CustomSite_WinCustomContent)
BackgroundAdviceEvaluation::StartFileLoop exception making problematic of Fixlet 876532.fxf
At 07:27:08 +0000 -

Hi @cstoneba, we never found a true solution. we still follow the same procedure on problematic clients, but if we see the error on one of them we completely uninstall the agent and reinstall, which resolves it for us but we still don’t know the root cause. we are on 9.5 as well. sorry.

1 Like

we were able to fix it by temporarily stopping the AV client and reinstalling

1 Like

oh interesting. Thank you for the feedback. we’ll have to try that next time we run into the issue.

1 Like

Is there any fix for this, server is reporting 1 hour late to the bigfix after agent installation when checked there is below messages evaluating fixlet files.

BackgroundAdviceEvaluation::FinishDataLoop side line file Fixlet 1234.fxf

I’m not sure this is a problem, this seems like it completed successfully. Is there more evidence in the logs of problems?

if you install bigfix without using a ClientSettings.cfg file or similar to configure the initial settings, then it can take a very long time for a new install to show up. In a medium sized environment using particular settings, it can go from ~30 minutes to ~2 minutes. “start up normal speed” is the most important one to use.

There error message StartFileLoop exception making problematic does suggest that the client is having trouble reading a file, which COULD be a file permissions issue, but it is generally some sort of AV cause.

You should definitely whitelist all FXF files since they are signed and validated, though AV can cause issues with actions executing as well, either slowly or not at all, so generally it is best to whitelist the BigFix Client folder.

Hello, getting the same issues for some weeks now, i have exclued fxf file, even bkg file in log folder because i’ve seen a lot of them when client is in “dead” state. Nothing work, i have 10/15 workstation faling in error state everyday. A quick fix is simply restart BESclient service, i don’t know why and this is not a true solution. Does anyone know whats really happen???

From the very limited information I don’t think we’d be able to give you a cause here. You should probably open a support incident, where we can ask you to upload your logs and help you evaluate what’s happening.