Azure Cloud Plugin properties

I have a Managed Property in the Master Action site to create a value unique to most all computers (native and proxy):

if (version of client >= "9.5.7.90" and (name of operating system as lowercase does not contain "aix" and name of operating system as lowercase does not contain "sun")) then (if (exists true whose (if true then in plugin portal context else false)) then ("Proxy-" & data source & "-" & instance id) else ("Native-" & (serial of hardware | (if (exists property "dmi") then (uuid of system_information of dmi as string) else (concatenation of (addresses of ip interfaces whose (not loopback of it) of network as string)) & "-" & computer name)))) else (computer name)

For the most part, it works good. However, there are several thousand computers (with no Native agent) detected by the Azure Cloud Plugin where this property returns: Singular expression refers to nonexistent object. There are 800 Proxy agents in Azure where the property is working.

On the failing computers, I’m confident that the relevance (exists true whose (if true then in plugin portal context else false)) is TRUE because that is the same relevancy as the BES Support site analysis “Microsoft Azure Resources” and this analysis is relevant for them. They also evaluate that Analysis’s Property “Correlation ID Azure” successfully for which the relevance is data source & "|" & instance id.

How do I troubleshoot relevance against Plugin Portal Proxy agents? Is there any other reason why the relevance would work on the targets from the BES Support Site analysis but not my Master Action site managed property?

yea, it’s not easy as there is no tools to evaluate directly like QNA/FixletDebugger/Query/etc. In fact, the relevance is not even evaluated by “clients” at all but by the plugin server. What I would do is build - 4-5 properties with smaller code and just put what you have there:

Property1 - in plugin portal context
Property2 - version of client
Property3 - name of operating system
Property4 - “Proxy-” & data source & “-” & instance id
Property5 - etc

Track down each of the clauses you use and see if anything errors out midway through. Maybe it’s worth for the Proxy stuff to be in the top-most if statement, so it goes first and has less chance of hitting a relevance clause that doesn’t work on it. Something along the lines of:

if (exists true whose (if true then in plugin portal context else false)) then ("Proxy-" & data source & "-" & instance id) else (if (version of client >= "9.5.7.90" and (name of operating system as lowercase does not contain "aix" and name of operating system as lowercase does not contain "sun")) then ("Native-" & (serial of hardware | (if (exists property "dmi") then (uuid of system_information of dmi as string) else (concatenation of (addresses of ip interfaces whose (not loopback of it) of network as string)) & "-" & computer name))) else (computer name))

Will the cloud plugin evaluate results of the properties right away or only after the next time the Plugin Portal plugin runs against Azure?

Depends on your plugin server(s)’ Discover frequency but whenever next evaluation loop is, it should evaluate the new properties, yes. For me it’s every 2 hours, so if I put something I would expect within 2 hours to be able to see the data (and then however long it takes to go through all configured accounts/tenants/etc).

I’ll try that out. thanks
new idea: https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFMCLOUD-I-35

1 Like

name of operating system is coming up as “Singular expression refers to nonexistent object”.

In the cloud plugin Azure log, they have an error of below which might be part of the problem.

2023/11/20 15:01:53 +0000 - [error] No image reference for Azure VM: <hostname redacted>

I’ll try with your reordered relevance. thanks

1 Like