Automatic Relay selection FQDN

(imported topic written by MattPeterson)

We are using automatic relay selection with relay affiliation. This is working great for all but a few systems. Some systems fail to connect to any relays because they require the FQDN, however relays are listed by short name in the relay.dat file. Is there any way I can change how a relay advertises it’s address?

(imported comment written by Tim.Rice)

Have you tried …

_BESClient_Relay_NameOverride

If the TEM Relay is using a DNS name that is not accessible by all TEM Clients, an override can be used. If this value is set on the TEM Relay computer, it will return this setting for the dns name inspector, which will be reported to the TEM Server and used by other TEM Clients to locate the TEM Relay. You can also use this value if you want your TEM Clients to locate their relays by IP address, rather than DNS name lookup. For example, if the TEM Relay is reported at relay1:52311, you can use this setting to make the TEM Relay be accessible at relay1.company.com:52311 or even 192.168.100.123:52311. (Note: this value needs to be set on only the one TEM Relay computer and not on all the TEM Client computers.)

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

is your “DNS Name” value of your relay the fqdn?

(imported comment written by MattPeterson)

Tim, I think that setting is what I was looking for. I will need to find what names all the clients can talk to.

cstoneba, the DNS name is just the computer name (AIX relays).

If I use the name override and add IP address will the relay respond to either FQDN and IP at that time or just IP?