Auto provisioning of fixlets - applications on old PC to new PC

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Ok, this one is tricky

Our previous provisioning tool (TPM), we had 1) a VBscript read the old PC for corporate packaged applications, 2) listed them iunto a text file on a file share, 3) TPM would read that text file, and auto-provision those applications to the new PC.

The process has become crutial in our environment for getting a end users new PC up and running with minimum administrative effort.

I need to know if anyone has attempted this type of scenario using BigFix. My imaging tool is TPMfOSD. My client services department requires this automation to eliminate the resources needed to launch a fixlet action for each individual fixlet (can be up to 30 applications to satisfy a single end users PC).

I feel that I can have a script run within OSD to read the applcation path on the old PC, but struggle to figure out a way to automate that application set to the new PC.

I hope this makes sense are typed. I look forward to any input.

(imported comment written by Syro91)

We’re looking to do something that requires the same sort of automation. Looking things through, the BES Platform API appears to be all we really need for it. I’m hooking into it via c# .net, but you can also use vbscript, I think. You can leave your end point process as-is and implement a small app that watches the repository you are placing the text files in.

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

If the VBScript can still be used, I would consider something like this:

1. Use VBScript to write text file to file share (old PC)

2. Copy text file from file share to a folder on the new PC

3. Create an action for each software package that targets your environment (by property, not specific computer) and is applicable if the text file contains a string that indicates the software package had been installed on the old PC.

The pseudo-relevance for one of the software package actions might look something like this:

(not exists of registry) AND (exists lines whose (it contains ) of file )

I would probably put all of these software package tasks in a single baseline that runs continuously. The baseline should be set to run in any of the member tasks become relevant.