Audit Trail Cleaner

I am planning to run the Audit Trail Cleaner with the below command-line on our Bigfix database. We are currently running 9.1.1117.0. We are trying to improve performance since our Bigfix installation is consistently using 50-80% CPU. I assume that I want to delete all deleted records in the database. The article about the Audit Trail Cleaner is quite brief. It doesn’t state what the defaults are. Are the defaults to delete all deleted records?

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/TEM%20Audit%20Trail%20Cleaner

BESAuditTrailCleaner-3.0.10.94.exe -l

I don’t have a lot of experience running the audit trail cleaner myself. I believe you can set it to delete all deleted records that are older than X days so that you are sure to have some history in the database without having to go back to the audit trail that gets saved by the cleaner.

It definitely would be nice if there was more documentation and more example command line options and recommendations.

Have you ever run it before?

How long has the instance been in place?

How many endpoints?

VM or Physical? CPU? Cores?

How many simultaneous console operators on average?

Are you using Message Level Encryption?

If you have never run the audit trail cleaner before, then you are probably overdue. If the audit trail cleaner doesn’t solve all of your problems, there are many other tweaks that are a good idea depending on where your bottlenecks are.

We have never run the Audit Trail Cleaner in over three years.

We have about 15,000 endpoints.

Our BES server is a VM with 8 CPUs and I believe one core.

10 simultaneous console operators on average.

No message level encryption?

1 Like