Are bigfix inventory scanners backwards compatible?

If I upgrade my BigFix Inventory server app to v9.2.13.0, will the older scanners (v2.8.0.9000) still work or must I upgrade the scanners when I upgrade the server side?

That is not mandatory. You can continue to have old actions being run. I have done so for past upgrades so assuming the same idea applies here.

According to the readme file, it is recommended that you use scanner v2.8.0.9000 (18/08/20) for BFI 9.2.13.0. If you are already running this version, you’ll be fine.

See here: readme

It will work, but its recommended to use most up to date scanner version, so run Upgrade Scanner fixlet when it is relevant.
@rohit it is also recommended to restart actions when new versions of fixlets are released, as there are improvements and bug fixes in fixlets as well.

1 Like

I was going to upgrade the server side to 9.2.13 this week but won’t be able to upgrade the scanner to v2.8.0.9000 for a month or so but in the mean time, scans need to still continue.

I did a test yesterday where the server side was upgraded and the scanner was not and scan results still came in so I’m cautiously optimistic that it works, but I understand it’s not ideal.

If you are on 2.8.0.X there is nothing to worry about, it will work fine.

yup, 2.8.0.8000. Thanks