Apps Management on iOS

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hello,

i am completely new to mobile device management and here is my question.

What is the difference between “Recommend a List of Apps” and “Install a List of Apps” under Apps Management -> Recommended Apps iOS.

Do i need the IBM Endpoint Manager Mobile Client installed for both options?

The Reason why i am asking is because i imported several apps from the apple store (by entering the app store url) and want to deploy that apps, but “Applicable Computers” are always “0” although i can manage my own iPhone and already installed profiles like WiFi Settings …

Thanks in advance.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Stefan,

Yes. The IBM Mobile Client App is required to to the “Recommended Apps” (which is when the user opens the app and selects the app they want to install).

I think the Mobile Client app is not required for a “Install List of Apps” (which prompts the user to install the apps even if they didn’t open the Mobile Client). The “Install List” requires iOS5 or greater.

Ben

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Hi Ben,

thanks for the quick response and explanation.

I can see the following behaviour.

First of all you need to have Mobile Client installed!

Second, when i mark the option “Make App a managed App” i am not able to deploy this app by “Install a List of Apps” although my iOS is Version 6.0.0. An “unmanaged App” works fine.

Maybe thats a Problem with iOS6?

Kind regards

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hmm… It should work for iOS5+…

Do you still have this issue?

Ben

(imported comment written by only4berni)

Hello Stefan,

in case if this question is still relevant 4 u

I tested to deploy the task which is generated by ‘Install a list of apps’

to a iOS6 device which only has the the IEM-profiles installed (but not the

IEM-app which hosts the recommended app-list) - it worked!

You simply need to need to remove this 'exists installed application whose (identifier of it as string contains “com.ibm.tivoli.mobileclient”) AND ’ from the task before it get’s created to get this task relevant for an iOS-device.

Doing so you can ask the user to install the IEM-app

via IEM :wink:

Hope this helps.

rgds., Berni