Application Usage Summary Inspector is disabled?

I’m trying to run a very simple relevance statement in the Fixlet Debugger:

q: (total run count of it, first start time of it, last time seen of it, total duration of it) of application usage summaries “visio.exe”

And I’m getting this error:

E: application usage summary inspector is disabled

Anyone have an idea why that inspector is reporting as disabled? How can I enable it?

1 Like

Have a look at this: https://developer.bigfix.com/relevance/reference/application-usage-summary.html

1 Like

Thanks for the response @jhickok. I had actually looked at that page, as well as others regarding getting the application usage to be collected. I have 3 settings in particular set to enable app usage data collection:

• _BESClient_UsageManager_EnableAppUsage is set to 1.
  • _BESClient_UsageManager_EnableAppUsageSummary is set to 1.
  • _BESClient_UsageManager_EnableAppUsageSummaryApps is set to “-:noapp:” which translates to track all applications.

I’m going to try running some analysis via BigFix to see if I get something different. I suspect that I might be having an issue with the user ID that I’m using to run the Fixlet Debugger may have permissions issues with the data directory.

Any other suggestions for things to look at would at would be helpful.

Follow up to my last post on this topic…

Running the relevance directly from an analysis creates expected results. Apparently there is an issue with me running this directly on my client machine using the Fixlet Debugger. Again, any other suggestions would be appreciated, but I will look closer at the any potential permissions issues.

In the Fixlet Debugger, are you using “Fixlet Debugger Mode” or “Client Evaluator Mode”? You need to use Client mode to access some things known only internally to the client - like Application Usage, Active Directory, current Relay information, etc.

1 Like

@JasonWalker I was using Fixlet Debugger Mode. I had tried Client Evaluator Mode at one point and seems like the debugger actually hung up on me. Perhaps I just wasn’t being patient enough. That is a good recommendation and I will give that a try. I will also check with one of my coworkers who has “proper” permissions on his folders to see if he has the same issue in Fixlet Debugger Mode.

The Client Evaluator mode will take a lot longer than Debugger mode. It’s actually sending the clause to the installed BES client to evaluate, and is constrained by the same CPU throttling that is applied to the client. In general with default settings, it takes about 80x longer in Client Evaluator mode.

@JasonWalker Thanks again for the responses. It seems like once I resolved my issues with directory permissions, and let myself be a little more patient with Client Evaluator mode, I was able to run the usage analysis most of the time.

I’m still seeing QnA have issues here and there with not being completely consistent, but there’s enough consistency for my developer testing.