Applicability very slow after upgrading to 10.0.4

Hi

We have just upgraded out test environment from 9.5.17 to 10.0.4.

After the upgrade we are facing that all relays and agents are verry verry slow (it takes hours) to get applicable to the new version.

anyone seen this ??

@Wandy There are several points to troubleshooting this.
I would start with general client responsiveness as @JasonWalker talks about in

some base questions to ask

1. does the client have a current copy of the .fxf file being evaluated
  2. has the client evaluated the .fxf
  3. is the client waiting for some setting before sending the report
  4. is the report up on the relay waiting to be forwarded upstream?
  5. is the report on the root server sitting in fillDB folders waiting for insert into database?
  6. something else?

This won’t be very helpful, but yes, you are not alone, I had that same issue when I upgraded a couple months ago.

BigFix was very slow at returning applicable information on my clients. I have about 1900, mostly Windows server clients in my environment.

I let it run for 24 hours as clients continued trickling in accurate information, and then rebooted the BigFix server. After a few days it seemed to be running pretty normal, but I was worried for a while. Today it runs perfectly.

The only thing that is slow for me now is opening the console remotely from my workstation. I only use the console, no WebUI.

Chris

If you are specifically looking at the Upgrade Fixlets for Relays and Clients, then please note that it is expected to take a little bit of time for those to become applicable. The upgrade Fixlets for these components check to make sure that their parent (whether the Root Server, or a parent Relay) has been updated to v10, and this check occurs at registration time (which by default will occur every 6 hours).

So, once you’ve upgraded the Root Server, any Client or Relay that is configured to communicate directly with the Root Server for its parent should become applicable to the upgrade Fixlets within 6 hours or so.

Lower level Relays/Clients won’t become applicable until their parent has been upgraded as per the note in the description of the upgrade Fixlets. It is a top-down upgrade process.

I hope that makes sense…

6 Likes

@Aram great call on the upstream registration impacting the Upgrade Fixlet relevance specifically.

If they use the BES Support Fixlet 201 Force BES Clients to Run Relay Autoselection
that the clients will perform a new relay selection and as a part of selection, will re-register with their relay (to effectively update the relay chain to the server).

Note that for clients with Manual Selection, such as would be the case on most Relays, there is a second Fixlet. BES Support 432Force BES Clients to Run Manual Relay Selection

@Wandy could you test action Force BES Clients to Run Manual Relay Selection on one of your Relays that is not yet relevant for the Upgrade Fixlet and see if the endpoint becomes relevant for the Relay Upgrade shortly after?

3 Likes