Api action/analysis using computer group

I am not sure if that’s doable or not.

1. I have analysis which generated report for package “X” install across the linux/solaris/aix/hp-ux population.
  2. I have task/fixlet which will update the pacakage across the unix.

The 1 and 2 are working perfectly via bigfix gui.

I want do to do this via api.

1. Can the analysis be run against the “computer group” using the api?

2. Can the task/fixlet be run against the “computer group” using the api?

I didn’t find any example api xml where you can run the fixlet against the “computer group”. I will be updating the package in batch of 400 servers per change. so adding them in the group make more sense instead of indvidiually adding the server in the “target” tag of action xml with “computer name or id”.

I am trying to execute the whole upgrade process via python so that we don’t have to login to gui. And team can run the script for the package upgrade.

The Analysis “runs”(evaluates) based on the Analysis Relevance.

The Action can be targetted via the CustomRelevance attribute.

In both cases, you could use something like
member of group 12345 of site "My Custom Site"

Jason, Can i mentioned the “computer group” in this api action xml. I want target the “computer group” instead of indvidual system.

Capture

From the api you cannot specify a computer group; what the console does is to use the group relevance I mentioned before, and target via the <CustomRelevance> element

I created this group via api. And excuted the action xml. I see the “action/actionID/status” through the url as open status. But from the gui i don’t see that action at all under the newly created group.

1 Like

I think I am making some mistake while creating the group and taking action on that group.
when I ran the mentioned xml ( group and action) using the api. The fixlet action status in the gui says “0 applicable computers” but the group is created and it has 2 computers in that group.