Anyway to use BigFix run command as same as vmware extender?

Hi, we have some problem with using of vmware extender, due to we have lots of vcenter and our relay server are not enought to hold all vCenter to control.

Are there any ideas to replace vmware extender with resolve our problem?

Edit: we need to use the function of take, view and delete snapshot per vm. now we struct to force to use powerCLI command through powershell to connect to vCenter (Manual script). we have pain to always write down all vm and vCenter username password (if have extender we can select vm from list)

any suggestion or solution?

1 Like

@Aram is there any guidance from OM regarding this query?

I may need some additional details and context on the problem (I’m not sure that I fully understand the challenges based on the above), but have you looked at the VMWare Plugin? Please see https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/c_install_cplugins.html . In particular, it makes it much easier to configure multiple sources each with their own credentials.

2 Likes

we need to use management Extender VMware just to use ability to snapshot and select vm like extender when take action

You can create a automation plan with whatever vmware extender task you have, provide info one time, take action and stop, export action as xml and than use external automation script or something to feed that xml (for changing esxi host, vm etc.)and post that as action using API (curl or iem cli) whenever needed.

Long back I did that kind of integration it work pretty well.

Important think to note, your vCenter stuff vm etc. should be visible in console.

Thanks for your comment, we have try that. But the problem occur when it only connect one vcenter at a time(need more server to create plugin portal) that cause us to installed mongodb up equal to number of vcenters.

Anyway, you can take snapshot vm from plugin portal?. We cannot find any document it does, only inventory

This way look good, but it is look likes we create power cli with windows powershell and collect parameter from bigfix.

Have you had any example of these solution? so at least we can go through your suggested way. Thank you

The Cloud Plugin supports multiple sets of credentials. Configure additional credential sets for each of your VCenter instances. https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/c_config_cplugins.html

2 Likes

Hello, now we have develop the script for done many stuff in multiple vCenter which using “PowerCLI” command. Thank you

2 Likes

So if i read this thread and understand the direction of the Bigfix product.

1. the push is to move Vmware and other interfaces to the Cloud Plugin
  2. When Extender for Vmware is removed, systems are no longer tagged as Device Type= ESXi Hypervisor Virtual machine, or ESXi Hypervisor
    – all fixlets and tasks under the VIrtual Endpoint Manager stop being available
    1. No ability to perform Vmware snapshot, remove VM snapshot, upgrade Vm tools
    2. No ability to view the audit fixlets for updates available for ESXi patches
    3. Power On/Off VMs, hard or soft
  3. It also looks like it breaks Bigfix Inventory v10 ability to see the VM guest resource and ESXi hardware as it cant talk to vcenter?

So how is this an improvement from the original?
The ‘new’ plugin method has been available for a year, i think. When will it or will it get all of the same features as the old ‘Management Extender for Vmware vCenter’

Will there be a new site with “Cloud” features for “Snapshot”, “Power”, and other basic VM guest type operations?

Is there already a site, and i am missing it?

Thank you

3 Likes

hello, that what we think in the same way with you.

Until then we use and develop the script from the scratch (with now working).

I think was able to go back and in stall the BFI vm manager tool and get BFI to appear to work.

But I guess i will dust off my plans to do what @Krit has done and build my own hook similar to what i had done to add Solarwinds to my environment. I have a central server that I can post commands to with curl … it was on my list to do to allow me to better control snapshots using array side snaps, vs native VM. It was just very helpful to have the extra level and features to fall back on.

I was also hoping that by moving to cloud plugin these basic functions of snap and power control would be more universal as my org moves into AWS and Azure.

I am open to other idea or comments