Anyone deploying Windows 10 version N LTSB 2016 (1607)?

I’m getting a little frustrated with support and haven’t really made any progress on my PMR, I was curious if any other users out there are deploying Windows 10 version N LTSB 2016 (1607)? I can capture an image of the VM with this deployed without problem. I cannot deploy the captured image however, once the machine boots up post image, it’s bricked. It will flick the windows log on the screen briefly and then generic error immediately, as if the hard drive is missing or not plugged in (on multiple devices) -

“Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn’t connected
or can’t be accessed. Error code: 0xc0000000f.
You’ll need to use recovery tools if you don’t have any installation
media (like a disc or USB Device). contact your pc administrator
or pc/device manufacturer.”

another issue I’ve had with this variant of the OS, which may be related, I can’t import the base ISO of this windows variant to the image library as a setup/resource image. I’ll select 'installation media (.iso) and select the win 10 N LTSB 2016 iso, and it will bomb out and flick the radio button option over to Linux capture image and display an error

“Image checking failed. Verify that the image version is supported and that the specified input path is correct. for more infornation, check %userprofile%\OSDeployment\rbagent.trc”

I’m not finding anything helpful in the .trc file.

Our BigFix environment is 9.2.5.130 with the latest versions for all of the OSD items. I’m tempted to upgrade to 9.5.4 but not thinking it will have any impact. I feel like this version just isn’t supported but support hasn’t been able to definitively answer that. when I see the available IBM provided upgrade fixlets for the 2015 edition of windows 10, offered for the 1607 version, none of my machines are relevant, they don’t have a fixlet matching our edition ID of “EnterpriseSN”, which is the LTSB N identifier.

one other bit I figured out while troubleshooting this, the WADK version require to deploy this version of the OS is higher than what BigFix installs, and if you use a stand alone tool like windows image and configuration designer, it requires the higher version to work with it. I’m tempted to remove WADK and install the newer version, but I’d think this would be offered as an upgrade if it were required. knowing how complex the osd environment is makes me reluctant to fiddle with changing out some of the backend manually.

I’m not sure about the image deployment issue, but the ISO import behavior sounds like the issue described in this post: Import w10 image from installation folder. Maybe @alexdinia can confirm.

You should also probably upgrade since 9.5.3 introduced agent support for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. That version is required to properly detect the new build numbers in Windows that actually identify Anniversary Update vs an earlier version of Win10.

thanks for the link - I had seen that thread but not with the latest replies which has better resolution details. I’m not clear it’s related though, it almost sounds like they were working through issues on how to use an .esd file and not necessarily a certain version issue.

I wish I better understood how the configuration of the machine you’re running the console on interacts with the OSD environment. after reading through that and thinking about other experiences, there are a number of local configuration bits that seem to have an impact on OSD operations. this is confusing, since it seems like everything should be confined to just the bare metal server and the bigfix servers, for software requirements. after reading through that link though, they’re having the user install a specific version of the windows deployment tools in order to solve their problems. I have no idea why that would be necessary though, but perhaps it’s related, will investigate further. thanks for the info on the change in 9.5.3, sounds like I should upgrade.

Hello,

my team is still working on the PMR. It looks like the issue pointed by Steve is not directly related, but the suggestion in there about WADK version is valid anyway ( we will fix that in our next refresh).
WADK installation is necessary because the MS tool version native to Windows 7 does not support the option needed to manage compressed wim images, and we do need that tool on the console machine.

I figured you guys are still working on the PMR but sometimes the community has ran into / solved / previously worked through PMR’s of the same nature, so I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. My PMR has been open for a long time and every machine I deploy with 1507 in the mean time, has to be upgraded again later, it’s creating a lot of additional work.