Analysis on text in file

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

I am trying to set up relevence that will look for a particular file, and will report back 1 of 2 returns, depending on the content of the file. If file does not exist, return n/a. I am drawing a blank. below is what I have so far.

q: if (exists file “C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\vpnclient.ini”) AND (exists lines whose (it contains “howdy”) of file “C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\vpnclient.ini”) then “Outdated” OR (exists lines whose (it contains “Doodie”) of file “C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\vpnclient.ini” then “Current”) else “N/A”

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Use the outer IF/THEN to handle the file check.

Use two linked innter IF/THEN statements, with the else of the first containing the second test. The else of the second test contains your “N/A”.

The intial file test could say “N/A” as well, but I think its clearer to have a result showing there is not file, vs the file existing but with the wrong contents.

IF (exists file “c:\temp\linecheck.txt”) THEN (IF (exists lines whose(it contains “How-D”) of file “c:\temp\linecheck.txt”) THEN (“Outdated”) ELSE (IF(exists lines whose(it contains “Do-D”) of file “c:\temp\linecheck.txt”) THEN (“Current”) ELSE (“N/A”))) ELSE (“File does not exist”)

Probably could be done a bit cleaner with a single file test, but this works for me.

-Jim

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Another way to do the line check:

(if ((concatenation of lines of it) contains “howdy”) then “Outdated” else if (concatenation of lines of it contains “Doodle”) then “Current” else “N/A”) of file “C:\somefile.txt”

The “exists” part still needs to be thrown on the front of that.

(imported comment written by NoahSalzman)

Oh right! In version 8 you can ditch the Exists part and do this:

(

if ((concatenation of lines of it) contains 
"howdy") then 
"Outdated" 

else 

if (concatenation of lines of it contains 
"Doodle") then 
"Current" 

else 
"N/A") of file 
"C:\somefile.txt" | 
"File does not exist"

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Jim that works splendidly, thank you.

Noah, Im going to try your as well.

Thank you for the help!