AIX Patching and pending downloads

I began to execute a new AIX TL deployment via BigFixx and the pending downloads has been setting there for about 5 hours, is this a normal feature with AIX patching with BigFixx. I have patched other AIX lpars using this and let it go, and it eventually works, but I am talking hours!

Is it the size of the AIX patches that causes this because it has to verify all of SHA certificates? Not sure but if anybody has any recommendations or has had this issue please let me know. I only have to patch about 20 AIX boxes at most.

I have also made changes to my client settings, that were recommended by IBM.

First place would be to check the “Summary” page of the action status of the console, to see whether all of the downloads have been cached on the BES Server. If there are download errors where the download source is not available, or the patch has been modified and no longer matches the expected sha1 value, etc. those conditions should be evident there.

If the files have made it to your root server, next thing to check would be the available disk space and cache settings of each Relay between the server and your client, followed by the available space and cache settings on your client.

If that doesn’t correct it, check the client logs and search this forum for how to enable the Relay Diagnostics pages.

I believe I’ve seen a catch-22 condition before with large baselines, where the actions were set to precache downloads before running the baseline and the sum of the baselines downloads exceeded the client cache size. The client would download the first few baseline downloads, then delete them to make room to download later components, then delete the later downloads to make space to redownload the first components, and never get arpund to executing any of them. This was several versions back, I don’t know whether the client has already been fixed for that. Workarounds are larger cache sizes or smaller baselines.