AIX-Bin file execute Command Needed

Hi All,

I want to deploy bin (filename.bin) file for AIX platform, is there any special command to execute for this,

Thanks,
Nagaraj.

By deploy - do you mean install? If so, the answer is yes.

The setup is via Systems Life Cycle → Software Distribution.

The actual command, provided at the end of the cycle, depends on the file used (e.g., the file itself, RPM, installp, tarball, etc…)

Yeah I have application bin file,to execute the bin file the below command will work ,

wait chmod a+x /var/opt/filename.bin

Hi. Just touching on this briefly (search for something different brought me back to it).

By deploy a binary file, or a script - I thought you meant more than just one file. I also assumed the binary package was using a package manager (e.g., RPM, or installp), or, e.g., a gzipped tar file.

Using Systems Life Cycle you can package one or more files - that BigFix manages using prefetch, brings them all to a working directory /var/opt/BES*/somewhere and you specify a command to install everything in that directory (e.g, rpm -i *.rpm; or installp -d . all)

But it could also be: (chmod a+x filename.bin && cp -p filename.bin /var/opt)

I read you solution as meaning “filename.bin” got copied (deployed) with the wrong file mode and you needed/used a fixlet to correct the file mode.

Yeah I am using software distribution for copy the folder (including all files bin, text, and some other supporting file) from BF server to BF agent, it was copied all files in to /var/opt/BESClient/__BESData/__Global/__Download/actionsite/files(all files)
so after I was copied all the files in to "var/tmp/files"
then I just executed the bin file like below command

wait chmod a+x /var/tmp/filename.bin

It is showing action complete but the application is not installing in endpoint.

Thanks,
Nagaraj.

OK. Back to research time with BigFix.

To help me understand your issue - if you where to do this manually - e.g., something like:

ssh root@target "mkdir -p /tmp/files/install"
scp * root@target:/tmp/files/install

ssh root@target “chmod a+x /tmp/files/install/filename.bin”

What do need to now?

1 Like

yeah I need like this only.

ssh root@target “chmod a+x /tmp/files/install/filename.bin”

could you share the action script for this.

Thanks,
Nagaraj.

From what I understand , the chmod a+x /var/tmp/filename.bin is not actually executing the file. whish is correct…
CHMOD only changes the mode of operation for that file…

What you need to do is then , after changing it, to actually run it.

So what would be the command on the actual machine if you had access to , say, is command line terminal to execute the file…
Once you know that, then you can use that in your action script.

1 Like

@Nagaraj - as @Pete_F points out, the chmod command only changes the file permission.

From my way of looking at things I consider your “copying” the files from /some/where to /now/iam/installed/bin is the installation.

Now what I am thinking you mean is not “installation” but using in an action script.

If that is the case - iirc, the class way to run a binary command is:

wait <command-name> <command arguments>
Note: may need to be a fullpath (i.e.,when not in $PATH)

A quite common example is running a shell script

wait sh <full-path-of-script-file>

I apologize for reading deploy and thinking install

Besides wait, there is also run

Check out: https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/run.html and https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/wait.html

1 Like

so the action command i have to add like below right,

wait sh “/var/tmp/filename.bin”

How would you install it outside of bigfix? You need to know the install commands first.

1 Like

@Nagaraj - yes, you need await sh “/var/tmp/filename.bin” or wait “/var/tmp/filename.bin”

but since you are not installing it in the classic sense (you want it run as a task is how I read your question now), after it has run you should consider:

delete “/var/tmp/filename.bin”

Or, you create another task that has, e.g., exists file /var/tmp/filename.bin as relevance, and then do something with it.

1 Like

I just copy the bin file from endpoint one directory to another directory and execute the bin file.