AIX Baseline Performance

We build a baseline with some AIX 7.1 ifixes and first task “BES Client Setting CPU Usage”, Action 2 to set the cpu usage to high.

As far as we’ve seen in the Client log, the client starts with relevance checks for all fixes, not with setting the cpu usage.

With this configuration deploying the baseline takes about 30min.

With running the CPU Setting befor deploying the baseline it took about 8min. Is there any way to run the cpu setting inside the baseline before starting the relevance checks ?

I believe all of the baseline components will be evaluated before any of them begin. More importantly every component of a new Action is evaluated as it is “new content” when you take the Action.

You should try scheduling the Baseline Action ahead of time - i.e. at noon, create an action with “Starts On…” set for several hours later, along with “Begin downloads before constraints are met”. This will allow the client to begin prefetching the patch downloads, and then wait for the scheduled time to arrive before executing them. As the entire Baseline would have already evaluated and be ready to go, the “BES Client CPU Usage” should execute pretty promptly at the scheduled time.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like a good workaround and I gave it a try. Having the download completed before the maintenance window is another good thing.