Agent Issue | Failed to load libBEScrypto shared library

Did anyone come across this issue in the recent past?

Current Date: June 4, 2018
Client version 9.5.8.38 built for WINVER 6.0 i386 running on WINVER 10.0.14393 x86_64
Current Balance Settings: Use CPU: True Entitlement: 0 WorkIdle: 10 SleepIdle: 480
ICU 54.1 init status: SUCCESS
Agent internal character set: UTF-8
ICU report character set: UTF-8 - Transcoding Disabled
ICU fxf character set: windows-1252 (Latin 1 / Western European) - Transcoding Enabled
ICU local character set: windows-1252 (Latin 1 / Western European) - Transcoding Enabled
At 11:52:23 -0400 -
Starting client version 9.5.8.38
FIPS mode disabled by default.
Client shutdown (Failed to load libBEScrypto shared library: Dynamic library failed to load (C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client/libBEScrypto.dll): LoadLibrary failed.)

This error is currently referenced under an APAR: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IJ05332

We are running 9.5.8 and upgrading to 9.5.9 would not be an immediate option.

As a workaround would the masthead replacement be helpful? If not, any other alternative workarounds?

Yikes.
I would recommend to open a PMR right away.

A few things you may want to try to clean the endpoint. (1) uninstall agent, delete local folder for agent and remove the bigfix section of the registry from HKLM\Software\WOW6432NODE\BigFix\ (2) Then reinstall the agent.

You also may want to check that the masthead is not mangled (re:edited) in any way, check the hash of the masthead.

But, I would still open a PMR ASAP.
-jgo

Read about how to register and file a PMR / SR here: IBM Products

Direct link to the PMR / SR tool: https://www-947.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/newServiceRequest.action

A helpful forum post:

I’ve seen this occur a couple of times and we managed to trace the cause down to a missing/corrupt C runtime library. Using a dependency walker we loaded the libbescrypto.dll file and it highlighted the file causing the issue. I believe our case were due to a corrupted file system that affected the WinSxs side-by-side store.

4 Likes

The masthead replacement and a besclient restart fixed this issue for the time.

I was also thinking if replacing “libBEScrypto.dll” from working client machine would have been an alternative solution.

1 Like