Addressing drivers during BigFix In-place upgrade from Win7 to 10

Hello Folks,

We’ve successfully used BigFix in-place upgrade fixlets & migrated around 20 machines (all same model) from Win7 to Win10 (1803). Though everything seems to be working fine in general, around 3/4 users have reported issues while bringing their laptop back from sleep. Upon pressing “Ctrl+Alt+Del” to reach the login screen it sometimes takes around 5-10 minutes. During this time they just get a blank blue screen and a revolving dotted circle. Strange bit is that this occurrence is not consistent & happens randomly on some days.

I was wondering if it could be something related to Windows 10 drivers? To be more precise, how does BigFix in-place upgrade address varying drivers for a model based on different OS? I understand this wouldn’t be an issue during bare-metal imaging as we have driver binding available b/w image & models.

P.S: These machines came with Win 10 OEM image few years back which we downgraded to Win 7, so this model do support Windows 10 by default.

We had a requirement to provide driver updates during the upgrade from 7 to 10.

With a little modification you could use the In-Place Upgrade fixlets to provide the path to a driver repository, but we already had the Driver Library setup for OSD and wanted to leverage that.

We were able to copy a Reimage baseline with quite a bit of modification to replace the default task sequence used in the MDT bundle with an In-Place Upgrade Task Sequence. It’s a bit sloppy and more quickly thrown together than we’d like, but we’ve successfully migrated over 10k devices using this method with full driver support for all models.

I’d be glad to share more details if you’re interested.

1 Like

Hi,
it does not seems to me to be an issue related to drivers but by the way there’s no driver update from BigFix OSD driver library during in place upgrade.
In any case, if the hardware manufacturer publishes its updates through the Windows Update service, after that the in place upgrade process is completed, you can upgrade them to the latest level, if not already there, through Windows Update.
Thanks.