Add custom property to fixlet

(imported topic written by 02WV_Adrian_Chelmec)

Hello,

The customer is not satisfied with default evaluation of fixlets (Source Severity property) and he wants to add two new properties to the patch fixlets:
Patch Taxonomy (
Standard,
Emergency,
Complex) and
Patch Priorities (
12 = Emergency,
9 = Complex,
6 = Critical,
3 = Non Critical,
0 = Not Relevant).

What is the best way to add custom properties to fixlets?

(imported comment written by Tim.Rice)

I don’t believe that Fixlet/Task “properties” are adjustable.

This sounds more like a Request for Enhancement : RFE.

I suggest you visit
THIS PAGE
for information on how to submit an RFE.

Hi, TimRice, would you be able to share the link to the 'Request for Enhancement" page; doesn’t appear to be a link in your reply to the post. Thanks!

The RFE page can be found at : https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe

Thanks for the link, Tim. Much appreciated.

It wasn’t until after I posted that I noticed the original post was from 2014. I’m a little surprised this issue hasn’t seen more development. As someone who has been managing BigFix content in a large enterprise for the last year, having an ability to add/tie-in custom properties to a fixlet would be invaluable.

The existing properties are …

• Category
  • Download Size
  • Source
  • Source ID
  • Source Release Date
  • Source Severity
  • CVE ID
  • SANS IS

What kind of properties are you hoping to add to Fixlets?

How to submit a request for enhancement (RFE) for the IBM BigFix products
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21626077

Hi, Tim. Sorry for the delayed response.

I don’t want to get too specific, but examples: additional custom categories, engineering/testing/deployment date/time stamps, etc.

I help manage quite a bit of content in a large, dynamic environment; any additional intelligence we can apply to our content data would be very advantageous.

1 Like

Hello Everyone, Did the RFE solve this issue. I know this post is pretty old (2017) but I am hoping there is an update. I am looking for the same capabilities. I would like to add additional custom categories to Fixlets and Tasks for use in the BigFix Self Service Application and /or the BigFix Console.

You may use additional properties as MIME Fields, but you would need to manage that in your own API; neither the Console nor WebUI would display or otherwise use those fields on its own.

1 Like

Thank You Sir. That is exactly the information and help I was looking for.

For examples, you might try Exporting either some Compliance fixlets, or some of the fixlets that are displayed in the Patch Management domain. Both SCM and Patch Management make use of MIME fields that are otherwise not visible in the console.