Add a new "Scripted Properties" functionality that combines Properties and Actions

(Already posted to Product Ideas Portal… re-posing here to raise awareness.)
https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFP-I-252

Relevance is read-only. Period. That’s fine. Don’t change it.

We can already create a never-ending Action, repeatedly running at every check-in, that runs a script (in the language of our choice) and records the returned value into a text file to be read by a Retrieved Property or directly into BigFix Computer Settings. Using the existing UI for this, however, is cumbersome and places the Action in amongst other more traditional Actions where they don’t really belong.

HCL could, instead, create a new, streamlined UI that used all of these existing functionalities to enable a “Scripted Properties” feature (versus Retrieved Properties, which only read and retrieve). The Action behind a Scripted Property would need no Target (being treated like an Analysis’ Properties instead), no Execution (instead using the Property’s “Evaluate every” function), and no Users, Messages, Offer, Post-Action, Applicability, or Success Criteria. It would just need an Action Script which, frankly, could also be unchanged from how current Actions are designed. (You could perhaps consider blocking BigFix entities such as “precache”, etc.)

So, “Scripted Properties” would be based in an Analysis, use a Properties-like frequency, and run an Action Script-like payload to set Computer Settings. Streamlined, easy to use, and nothing that we can’t already do but with a lot less hassle and overhead.

4 Likes

I like your idea. The only quibble I have relates to targeting. I could foresee wanting to be able to target by dynamic group or only to computers in specific custom sites.

1 Like

You’d do what you’re wanting by creating an Analysis that targets only those computers, just like you’d do to “target” Retrieved Properties now.