Active Theme on desktop for all users

Hello all,

I’m trying to set a default theme for Win 7 users. I have the necessary theme in place and can get it to show in “Installed Themes”. I can also copy it to my test user’s profile in …\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes and get it into “My Themes” where it needs to be, but simply cannot figure out how to make the theme active. So far the only thing that will do it is going into personalize and actually selecting it.

Changing the CurrentTheme value to the desired .theme in HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes won’t do it either. Upon logon\logoff or reboot it simply reverts back to the previous theme.

I also can’t use the GPO settings because users need to be able to change their themes if they want (yes, I know it doesn’t make much sense to make this new theme active if that’s the case, but we do what we’re told), and those lock it down.

After extensive yet fruitless research, I figured posting to the forum might be worthwhile before I go back and tell them “This is what I can do. Live with it.”

Thanks, everyone!

If you know a command line ou HKCU registry key to configure, you might use Active Setup. https://helgeklein.com/blog/2010/04/active-setup-explained/

Thanks, Jason. Actually figured it out. Can use rundll32 and point it to Desk.cpl to update the theme auto.