Action status "Disk Limited"

(imported topic written by DPWally)

I sent an action to 1 computer and the action was not executed, the status is “Disk Limited”. The summary is “The download size exceeds the maximum value set in the client setting _BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB, which can be modified through the Edit Computer Settings dialog.”

Does anyone have information on that status? I can’t find anything that mentions it.

Details

• The action’s total downloads are a little under 300MB, using prefetch
  • This has happened twice with the same fixlet. Both times the error didn’t repeat when I retried to the same computer.
  • I don’t see that setting on either client, so I assume they’re using the default value for that setting.
  • I’ve used fixlets with larger downloads, never seen this problem before.
  • The target computers have plenty of free disk space.

(imported comment written by XS8G_Sameer_Sameer)

Hi there,

I have experienced the same issue recently, I had a change for 75 servers, so a day ahead of the change i have selected a few patches and scheduled a time for execution, and came across “Disk Limited” issue, had to open a Priority PMR for this, fortunately had Level 2 support responded to my call, and they advised me to uncheck the box (start client downloads before all constrainsts are satisified), which i did and it all started to work back normally.

next day digging into details for why it worked for most of the systems and why i got the same “disk limited” for a few servers, i realised that with the number of patches selected for the servers on which i got “disk limited” problem were more than 250 MB collectivly, and intrestingly everly TEM client has a local cache for patches which is by default 250 MB, so the group of fixlets which exceeded the size of 250 MB collectivly couldnt execute, hence having a "DIsk Limited " problem

Using “start client downloads before all constrainsts are satisified” option means that you download the patches ahead and wait for the scheduled time to execute the installation of your patches, and the significance of unchecking the box is that the downloads will start at the scheduled time one by one and will be streamed to the target machine for installation after the patch file is completly downloaded. which for us as the change executors is bad as we will risk exceeding the change window for the task of patching.

the way to solve this issue is to increase the default cache size on the target machine using _BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB and setting it to your desired size which is more than 256 MB.

also note that the cache of any TEM installed machine be it server, relay or client works in First In First Out basis , meaning if there is no more room on the cache for a new patch then the Oldest patch or patches will be flushed to make room for the New patch.

thanks and regards

Sameer

(imported comment written by FSINJ)

Hi XS8G_Sameer,

Did you go and change this setting one server at a time or did you have another way that it could go and change all 75 servers at one time?

Thanks,

FSINJ

(imported comment written by MattPeterson)

You can create a task and target multiple computers, you could make it a policy aciton if desitred.

This is the task I use, which will set the setting to 2GB then restart the BES Client service.

Relevance:

(
not

exist

(setting

“_BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB”

of

client)

whose

(value

of

it

=

“2048”
))

|

true

Action:

setting “_BESClient_Download_PreCacheStageDiskLimitMB”=“2048” on “{now}” for client

//Restart BES client
//Windows
if {windows of operating system}
delete __appendfile
appendfile @echo off
appendfile echo Your administrator is restarting the BES Client… Please Wait…
appendfile net stop BESClient
appendfile net start BESClient
delete clientRestart.bat
copy __appendfile clientRestart.bat
run clientRestart.bat

//AIX
elseif {name of operating system contains “AIX”}
delete "{(client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile”}"
appendfile #!/bin/sh
appendfile sleep 30
appendfile /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/KBESClientd stop
appendfile sleep 30
appendfile /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd start
wait chmod 555 “{(client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile”}“
run {”/bin/sh -c %22trap ‘’ 15;’” & (client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile’%22”}

//Linux
elseif {name of operating system contains “Linux”}
delete "{(client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile”}"
appendfile #!/bin/sh
appendfile sleep 5
appendfile /etc/init.d/besclient restart
wait chmod 555 "{(client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile”}"
run “{(client folder of current site as string) & “/__appendfile”}”

//Fail if no OS was selected
else
continue if {false}
endif

I am trying this above solution to create a policy for “DiskLimited” machines but it is getting failed.