A bug, or did I not install something re: AIX NIM and VIOS

There is an analysis named “AIX NIM Overview” and either I missed something, or BigFix has moved on from when it was developed and released.

In the relevance it tests:

device type = "AIX NIM" or device type = "PowerVM VIOS"
and
if exists target deleted then (if (target deleted = "true") then false else true) else true

Using QNA (cli and WebUI Query) I get “Not found” for both “device type” and “target deleted”.

After I changed the relevance to

exists fileset matching "lpp_name = 'bos.sysmgt.nim.master'" of object repository AND exists fileset matching "lpp_name = 'bos.sysmgt.nim.spot'" of object repository

the associated computers list includes my nim server - HOWVER - the results tend to be empty:

one NIM example (of a property):

("{nimlpp:'" & (concatenation "" of names of it as string) & "'" ,"locationstatus:'" & (concatenation " ; " of pstates of it as string) & "'" ,"rstate:'" & (concatenation ";" of rstates of it as string) & "'}") of lpp_sources

The type lpp_sources" does not exist.

Likewise: property for VIOS analysis:

if exists lpar profils then names of lpar profils as string else "No profiles" as string

Again, the type queried (lpar profils) does not exist.

So, is this a bug, or did I miss out something.

Thx.

I’m not an AIX user, so this may be off base, but have you installed and configured the Management Extender for the NIM?

Thanks for the answer - I expect. Never heard of the Management Extender for NIM (from BigFix?)

Sorry about that. I meant to ask is the Network Installation Management integration setup? That is where the lpp_sources get configured.

To best utilize the NIM integration features, use the NIM Installation and Setup Dashboard when you install the NIM master, NIM clients, and NIM lpp_source resource

Check out the documentation here: Setting up a new NIM environment

Thanks again for the reply.

a) I have used and taught others how to use NIM for 20ish years, so what I was looking for was integrating a running NIM server into BigFix - not setting up a new NIM server.

b) I found the references to the Extenders. Seems to be one for both PowerVM (also interested in what that looks like) as well as NIM. However, a quick scan of the relevance (as nothing was relevant) gives me the impression these work better (i.e., only) on a Windows Server based BigFix Server.

c) Thanks for the suggestions - I guess I won’t be using them. More work that I think they will solve.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. It appeared that the documentation was pointing to a way to integrate with NIM. Perhaps someone with more BigFix & AIX experience will chime in.

You pointed me at things I had overlooked. Much appreciated!