9.2 Patch 3 Install Problem

I’m having a problem installing the 9.2.3 patch and I’m hoping someone has a suggestion before I try contacting IBM support.

When I attempt to install via the “IBM Endpoint Manager - Updated Platform Server Components version 9.2.3 Now Available” fixlet, the result is “Failed”. If I try to manually upgrade the server from the installation files, the upgrade fails with the error:

There was an error connecting to the database. Check that you have sufficient database privileges:

Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘sa’. (28000:18456)

I’m able to open the ODBC connector and click on “Configure” for each of the defined database connections and they all connect OK. I can also open the IBM Endpoint Manager Administration Tool successfully (after entering in the “sa” password as prompted).

The sa password was changed a little while ago so I’m wondering if the old password is being stored somewhere.

If it matters, the SQL database is on a different server.


Are your databases local or remote?

2 random guesses based on issues that I ran into:

Mine are remote and one of the weird quirks was that I have to log in locally to application server with the service account that has SA (temporarily bumped up for upgrades, but DBO normally) rights over the remote DB in order to do the upgrades or else I would get a similar error.

9.2.3 also moved to only support 64-bit OS (if I recall correctly) so make sure that the 64-bit ODBC (not just the 32-bit ODBC) has the correct ODBC connectors configured.

1 Like

I think you should contact support to get help here. The password if stored would have been in use so I’d hope it would have used it.

Make sure you tell them your OS revision and provide the server upgrade log (which is probably at your C:\ directory) which the fixlet would have performed as it may give an idea why the failure occurred in the first place and your client logs

It sounds like @cdh has the solution. It might be possible to run the installer as the service account while logged in under a different account, particularly if the service account does not have login rights.

If those suggestions don’t work, then definitely contact support.

Sorry for the delay but I was out last week.

I checked the ODBC Data Source Administrator under C:\Windows\System32, which I believe is the 64-bit one (both servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2). The system data sources are defined, but they’re using SQL Native Client 11.0. However, our database is SQL Server 2008 R2 (which I believe uses Client 10.0). In fact, if I try to edit those entries, I get “The setup routines for the SQL Native Client 11.0 ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver.”.

If I re-create the entries using the SQL Server Native Client 10.0 driver, all connection tests pass. However, when I re-run the 9.2.3 server install, I again get the error about not being able to connect to the SQL server. When I go back to the ODBC Data Source Administrator, those data sources have been switched back to the SQL Native Client 11.0 driver (and I again get the “The setup routines for the SQL Native Client 11.0 ODBC driver could not be found” error message).

Is SQL Server 2008 R2 still supported with Endpoint Manager 9.2? If so, any idea why the 9.2.3 upgrade is trying to use SQL Native Client 11?

Thanks again!

I think I ran into a similar issue a long time ago. I can’t recall the exact issue but I ended up clearing a cached sa password from the registry.

Check the registry and see if your sa password is correct. It’s in a value beneath the SQL server name and DB name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BigFix\Enterprise Server\FillAggregateDB\RemoteDatabases

I think the SQL Native Client 11 will work with older DB versions.

You might try installing the Native Client 11 if it is not installed.

SQL 2008 R2 is still supported yes and its using the version that should be compatible with all the supported versions of SQL so now that newer versions are around we need a newer version of the Client

Thanks all. I’ve put in a support request and a technician is looking into the issue.

I didn’t have much luck with (e-mail) technical support, but this new document helped me out and I was able to upgrade to 9.2.3.


I basically went through and wiped out the existing password and typed in the password again (in plain-text) in the appropriate keys.