Windows update agent version

Hi,

When I try to get version of a file wuaueng.dll (Windows Update Agent) from windows 7 and windows 10, i only get results form 32 bit OSes. 64-bit OSes doesnt return any result, although the file is in the same directory for both 32 or 64 bit OSes ( C:\Windows\system32 )

if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of folder "C:\Windows\System32" then (version of file "wuaueng.dll" of folder "C:\Windows\System32" as string) else ("<n/a>")

Thanks for clarification.

The Bigfix agent is 32-bit, so unless you tell it to, it will look in the 32-bit folders.

You just need to give it a better hint.

Your code:

q: if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of folder "C:\Windows\System32" then (version of file "wuaueng.dll" of folder "C:\Windows\System32" as string) else ("<n/a>")
A: <n/a>
I: singular string

This is the same as:

q: if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of system x32 folder then (version of file "wuaueng.dll" of system x32 folder as string) else ("<n/a>")
A: <n/a>

On a 64-bit system you could use

q: if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of system x64 folder then (version of file "wuaueng.dll" of system x64 folder as string) else ("<n/a>")
A: 7.9.9600.18696

but that will not be happy on a 32-bit machine

Options:

q: if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of native system folder then (version of file "wuaueng.dll" of native system folder as string) else ("<n/a>")

q: if exist file "wuaueng.dll" of (system x32 folders; system x64 folders) then unique values of (version of it as string) of file "wuaueng.dll" of (system x32 folders; system x64 folders) else "N/A"
I: plural string

Hi trn,

Thank you for detail explanation.

I was testing both options you provide. Both options works only on Server 2012 R2.
I get The operator “native system folder” is not defined. on WIn7, Win10 when running first option you provide.
Second option only works for 64bit OSes, on 32 bit I get Singular expression refers to non-unique object.

Sorry for the confusion, but i thought your second option would work on both 32 or 64 OSes.

For now, it looks like I have to make 2 relevances. One for x32 and one for x64.

What version of the bigfix client are you using? “Native system folder” has been around for a long time, are you sure you don’t have a typo?

The inspector native system folder has been around since 9.0 so yes a long time… https://developer.bigfix.com/relevance/reference/folder.html#native-system-folder-folder

Thanks for pointing out about versions.
Im using 8.2 version, so that is why it doesnt recognize native system folder inspector.

That explains it. It’s time to upgrade. 8.2 has been out of support for almost 2 years - [Announce] Tivoli Endpoint Manager Platform 8.1 and 8.2 End of Support

I’m not sure 8.2 even support for a 64-bit client. Sure there are cases for running older clients on older machines (where a new client may not be available, for winxp for example), but a Win Server 2012 R2 should really be running a 9.x client.