Windows Installer Service Is Not Running

(imported topic written by powertoaster91)

I recently performed a clean install.

I have a particular fixlet that applies to every machine in my domain and that will not go away.

Fixlet ID is 571 titled “Windows Installer Service Is Not Running”.

I have checked and on several of the machines that it reports the service is indeed running although on most it is set to manual which I believe is the standard/normal state.

Even after applying the fixlet to a select group of machines it still reports as applicable to all machines.

Has anyone else had difficulty with this fixlet?

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

I just started deploying BigFix this week and am seeing the same thing on many computers. Is there any way to get rid of this? WSUS related?

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

I am seeing this too. I haven’t checked to see if the service is actually running or not, but it is showing applicable on nearly 90% of our windows boxes. I thought thought that the Windows Installer service was only started when it was neaded anyways, so this fixlet doesn’t make much sense to me. In my opinion, a better way to do it is to show if the service is disabled instead of just stopped.

(imported comment written by cstoneba)

BigFix has updated this fixlet to now be applicable if the service is disabled, not stopped.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Well, that brings the # of systems needing to be remediated down somewhat :slight_smile:

I was wondering about the purpose of this fixlet myself. Glad to see we weren’t the only ones wondering about it.