Windows 'connected standby' / Mac 'Power Nap' mode

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience of using BigFix in connected standby mode?

I’m not aware of any enhancements that have come out on this topic, or if it’s feasible to work at all, however I’m interested to see if anyone else has use cases for it?

Cheers,

Gwyn

I can definitely see some value in BigFix working while in connected standby for both Windows and Mac.

The main issue is that you wouldn’t want it doing background evaluation the whole time because that would be a drain.

You could have the following setting automatically enabled when on battery power:

_BESClient_Resource_PowerSaveEnable

Which is what I propose here: Automatically adjust BESClient settings when on battery power

Yes, if we ever did enable it in standby mode we wouldn’t want background evaluation at all going as it uses the disk which is the largest power drain other than the processor. It could just be monitoring for something like a “WakeMeUp” message or event to fix something important though.

I could see the client doing 1 eval loop & report if it has been more than an hour or something like that. Command Polling would be interesting as well.

Connected standby (DarkWake/PowerNap) on my macbook seems to happen once every hour.

I don’t think a “WakeMeUp” message would work unless it is handled through Command Polling because there would be a very narrow window of time in which the client would be able to hear the “WakeMeUp” message unless it is WoL. The advantage of command polling telling the system to wake during connected standby is that it would not rely on WoL and would work on any network.

References: