Windows 8.1 Restart Prompt

Recently conducted company wide patching for all of our client machines. I have encountered an odd issue with some client running Windows 8.1. The users are prompted to restart multiple times even after rebooting several times already. I have already tried restarting the clients through the Troubleshooting fixlet but it still shows pending restart on the end. Has anyone encounter this issue before and if so what were your solutions? Thanks.

Some patches/installs can take more than one restart to complete

Please check out the locations mentioned in this post 9.5.2 problem with detecting restart?

Hi Alan,

I considered that but I rebooted one machine three times and the prompt comes back shortly after the user logging in.

You can look at the locations mentioned and see what is still marked and if need be provide an exclusion if some software you are using is constantly doing this.

After working with several users it seems that if a user reboots manually through the Start Menu that the REG keys for pending reboot is cleared but it they decide to reboot thought the Bigfix Prompt it does not. I believe this may be a bug related to Bigfix on Windows 8 machines.

The BigFix agent merely calls a function within Windows to tell it to restart, how that works is entirely up to Windows itself. It should be the same as a user however.