Windows 10 Version Upgrade

Can we use BigFix to upgrade windows 10 as listed below?

1. Windows 10 Professional to Enterprise upgrade using Secure boot feature…
1 Like

Hi,
as far as I understand, you want to upgrade the edition and not the version, right?
Thanks.

Mainly Yes OS edition from Prof to Ent

You say “using secure boot feature”…are you switching from BIOS to UEFI? That adds some complexity.

I know you can use bigfix to use the inplace upgrade feature to do say an 1803 windows pro to an 1809 windows enterprise will work. I have no tried to do a version of 1803 windows pro to 1803 windows enterprise. I will have to test that out in my lab.

Changing from Win10 Pro to Win10 Ent and back again is easy assuming you are using KMS to activate.

This will convert from Pro to Enterprise.

// Disable wow64 redirection on x64 OSs
action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system}

//VBS
waithidden cmd /C cscript.exe {system folder}\slmgr.vbs -ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
waithidden cmd /C cscript.exe {system folder}\slmgr.vbs -ato
1 Like

Yes, we are switching from BIOS to UEFI…

If you use in place upgrade, in place upgrade code will automatically selects which is the edition on the media that better applies to the edition on the initial OS.
If you are switching from bios to uefi, in place upgrade cannot be applied because this must include a change of disk partitions that does not allow to “upgrade” (reusing the files).
Thanks.

Just a note - if you are using KMS server activation, if the KMS server is unreachable then your user gets a nice little watermark stating that “Windows Is Not Activated”. The same applies for users activating via AD and unable to reach the domain when change the key.

Always fun for the external/VPN users ;-).

For clarity, this information only relates to the edition switch - not the UEFI/BIOS question.