Windows 10 Build Update

I’m doing some Windows 10 build update tests (older version to 20H2), the action starts but remains in “Running” state.
In the past, the same action has worked fine. Any help?

Below the script executed:

begin prefetch block
add prefetch item name =it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso sha1=71D2A1921EBF556F9FDBCCDECA5D52C269D06AE4 size=5968244736 url={value of setting “_BESClient_AllowCustomRepoDownloads” of client | “http://MANUAL_BES_CACHING_REQUIRED/”}it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso sha256=1B06CCDDA7B5955A4F77B01C499E2E71AC9CD172622D2451609B77B60BDEB474
end prefetch block

parameter “workISO” = "{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso”}"
continue if {exists file (parameter “workISO”)}

// prepare a workpath to temporary files.
parameter “workPath” = "{(value of variable “SystemDrive” of environment) & “\win10_upgrade_temp”}"
waithidden cmd /C rmdir /S /Q "{parameter “workPath”}"
waithidden cmd /C mkdir “{parameter “workPath”}”

// Create the cleanup file.
delete __appendfile
delete __Download\setupcomplete.cmd

appendfile @echo off
appendfile SET WindowsISO="{parameter “workISO”}“
appendfile powershell.exe “Dismount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%””"
appendfile rmdir /S /Q “{parameter “workPath”}”

move __appendfile __Download\setupcomplete.cmd

// Create a debug invocation batch to help in case of failures.
// This batch does not perform an update but with the scanonly option allows you to determine what the problem is.
delete __appendfile

appendfile @echo off
appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%”"" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {{$_.DriveLetter}"’) DO %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Compat ScanOnly /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot"
appendfile echo %errorlevel% > “{parameter “workPath”}\out.log”

move __appendfile “{(parameter “workPath”) & “/upgradeCheck.bat”}”

// Create the actual invocation script
// Sleep and Dir were added or command would fail with %errorlevel% 183. Possibly a delay on mount.
delete __appendfile
delete mount.and.install.bat

appendfile @echo on
appendfile powershell.exe “Mount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%””“
appendfile TIMEOUT 10
appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%”"" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {{$_.DriveLetter}"’) DO dir %%I: > “{parameter “workPath”}\dir.log” && %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Quiet /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot /postoobe "{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\setupcomplete.cmd”}"
appendfile echo %errorlevel% > "{parameter “workPath”}\out.log"
move __appendfile mount.and.install.bat

wait mount.and.install.bat > “{parameter “workPath”}\cmd.log”

wait __Download\setupcomplete.cmd >"{parameter “workPath”}\setupcomplete.log"

// setup must finish with RC=0 at this stage if things are ok. If that is not the case content of C:"\win10_upgrade_temp dir holds useful info.
// Apart from log files, you can run upgradeCheck manually to check with the UI what the problem is.

action requires restart “71D2A1921EBF556F9FDBCCDECA5D52C269D06AE4”

Which line in the actionscript does it show as running?

At this point:

Running

// setup must finish with RC=0 at this stage if things are ok. If that is not the case content of C:"\win10_upgrade_temp dir holds useful info.
// Apart from log files, you can run upgradeCheck manually to check with the UI what the problem is.

action requires restart “71D2A1921EBF556F9FDBCCDECA5D52C269D06AE4”

Assuming you have access to the machine, I would take a look at the cmd.log file that was created and to check the running processes to see if powershell or setup.exe is present. Sounds like there may be a hung application.

cmd.log

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV>SET WindowsISO=“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso”

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV>powershell.exe “Mount-DiskImage “”“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso””“”

Attached : True
BlockSize : 0
DevicePath : \.\CDROM2
FileSize : 5968244736
ImagePath : C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV_Download\it_windows
10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso
LogicalSectorSize : 2048
Number : 2
Size : 5968244736
StorageType : 1
PSComputerName :

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV>TIMEOUT 10

In attesa da 10 secondi. Premere un tasto per continuare… 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV>FOR /F “skip=3” %I IN (‘powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV_Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso"“”" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {$.DriveLetter}”’) DO dir %I: 1>“C:\win10_upgrade_temp\dir.log” && %I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Quiet /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot /postoobe “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV__Download\setupcomplete.cmd”

C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV>dir F: 1>“C:\win10_upgrade_temp\dir.log” && F:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Quiet /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot /postoobe “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\CustomSite_GNV__Download\setupcomplete.cmd”

Hi Martino,

I was also facing this problem. It was getting stuck at Running state and after a long wait it will show Failed status.
I checked with Antivirus team and found that CD_DVD Rome permission was disabled.
It got resolved after enabling the same. Also you need to have software installation rights to do this activity.

Hi,
what kind of permissions do you mean?
This action has worked correctly in the past.

thanks

Hi Martino,
If you say it was working fine before then you should probably check with your antivirus team and confirm if they made any changes to disable the access of CD_DVD Rome in their Policy.
In my case it was disabled and after enabling the same it worked like a champ.

Hi,
any antivirus policy has been disabled on the test device, but the action still remains in “running” status…

Other ideas?

Hi Mike,
did you take a look at the log?

Hi,
the running status reported in the action on the BigFix console could not be the latest update on it because, if the client has been stopped, it could not have been on time to send the latest status.
I would suggest to look at bigfix client logs to have the latest status and plan the next investigation step.
Thanks.
Sergio – HCL BigFix – Lifecycle Team

Hi, I Know this.
But the client logs have the same situation, last command started:

“Command succeeded parameter “workISO” = “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso” (action:16337)
Command succeeded (evaluated true) continue if {exists file (parameter “workISO”)} (action:16337)
Command succeeded parameter “workPath” = “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
Command started - waithidden cmd /C rmdir /S /Q “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
At 15:14:58 +0200 - actionsite (http://SrvBigFIX.grimaldi.dom:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)
Command succeeded (Exit Code=0) waithidden cmd /C rmdir /S /Q “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
Command started - waithidden cmd /C mkdir “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
Command succeeded (Exit Code=0) waithidden cmd /C mkdir “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__appendfile’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:16337)
Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__Download\setupcomplete.cmd’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile @echo off (action:16337)
Command succeeded (file created) appendfile @echo off (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile SET WindowsISO=“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso” (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile powershell.exe “Dismount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%””" (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile rmdir /S /Q “C:\win10_upgrade_temp” (action:16337)
Command succeeded move __appendfile __Download\setupcomplete.cmd (action:16337)
Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__appendfile’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:16337)
Command succeeded (file created) appendfile @echo off (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile SET WindowsISO=“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security_Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso" (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%""" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {$
.DriveLetter}”’) DO %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Compat ScanOnly /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot" (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile echo %errorlevel% > “C:\win10_upgrade_temp\out.log” (action:16337)
Command succeeded move __appendfile “C:\win10_upgrade_temp/upgradeCheck.bat” (action:16337)
Command succeeded delete No ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security\mount.and.install.bat’ exists to delete, no failure reported (action:16337)
Command succeeded (file created) appendfile @echo on (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile @echo on (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile SET WindowsISO=“C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security_Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso" (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile powershell.exe “Mount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%”"" (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile TIMEOUT 10 (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%""" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {$
.DriveLetter}”’) DO dir %%I: > “C:\win10_upgrade_temp\dir.log” && %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Quiet /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot /postoobe “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client__BESData\Enterprise Security__Download\setupcomplete.cmd” (action:16337)
Command succeeded appendfile echo %errorlevel% > “C:\win10_upgrade_temp\out.log” (action:16337)
Command succeeded move __appendfile mount.and.install.bat (action:16337)
Command started - wait mount.and.install.bat > “C:\win10_upgrade_temp\cmd.log” (action:16337)
At 15:15:01 +0200 -
Report posted successfully"

Thkans

Hi,
yes, it’s the same step but looking at the commands run it seems to me that this is not a fixlet belonging to BigFix OSD site (OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging). Is this correct?
Is it a custom fixlet or belonging to another BigFix site?
Thanks.

I believe I just noticed it… you are missing a path separator…

parameter "workISO"="{pathname of client folder of current site & "\__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_20h2_updated_nov_2020_x64_dvd_6fa77451.iso"}"

Hi,
i checked the action script the path seems correct to me:

begin prefetch block
add prefetch item name =it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso sha1=4EFF4CCCF56A45621286475AC7543C4D47A4EE84 size=5520400384 url={value of setting “_BESClient_AllowCustomRepoDownloads” of client | “http://MANUAL_BES_CACHING_REQUIRED/”}it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso sha256=EF95C775CFB75A4A872501A84DBCB513ED7BB584F60BB3B887DFEDC0B58718C1
end prefetch block

parameter “workISO” = "{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\it_windows_10_business_editions_version_1909_updated_oct_2020_x64_dvd_6f7d863a.iso”}"
continue if {exists file (parameter “workISO”)}

// prepare a workpath to temporary files.
parameter “workPath” = "{(value of variable “SystemDrive” of environment) & “\win10_upgrade_temp”}"
waithidden cmd /C rmdir /S /Q "{parameter “workPath”}"
waithidden cmd /C mkdir “{parameter “workPath”}”

// Create the cleanup file.
delete __appendfile
delete __Download\setupcomplete.cmd

appendfile @echo off
appendfile powershell.exe “Dismount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%””"
appendfile rmdir /S /Q “{parameter “workPath”}”

move __appendfile __Download\setupcomplete.cmd

// Create a debug invocation batch to help in case of failures.
// This batch does not perform an update but with the scanonly option allows you to determine what the problem is.
delete __appendfile

appendfile @echo off
appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%”"" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {{$_.DriveLetter}"’) DO %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Compat ScanOnly /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot"
appendfile echo %errorlevel% > “{parameter “workPath”}\out.log”

move __appendfile “{(parameter “workPath”) & “/upgradeCheck.bat”}”

// Create the actual invocation script
// Sleep and Dir were added or command would fail with %errorlevel% 183. Possibly a delay on mount.
delete __appendfile
delete mount.and.install.bat

appendfile @echo on
appendfile powershell.exe “Mount-DiskImage “”%WindowsISO%””“
appendfile TIMEOUT 10
appendfile FOR /F “skip=3” %%I IN ('powershell.exe “Get-DiskImage “””%WindowsISO%”"" | Get-Volume | Select-Object {{$_.DriveLetter}"’) DO dir %%I: > “{parameter “workPath”}\dir.log” && %%I:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /Quiet /DynamicUpdate disable /noreboot /postoobe "{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\setupcomplete.cmd”}"
appendfile echo %errorlevel% > "{parameter “workPath”}\out.log"
move __appendfile mount.and.install.bat

action requires restart “4EFF4CCCF56A45621286475AC7543C4D47A4EE84”

Hi,
I dont’have the OS Deployment license, this kind of fixlet is conatined in Patches for Windows Site.

Thanks

Hi,
since this fixlet belongs to BigFix Patch application, I suggest to post this on the Patch channel:
https://forum.bigfix.com/c/usage-and-config/patch
Thanks.

Hi Sergio,
I try…

Thanks

Two observations.

It would be better to use the formatting button (looks like </> in the action bar at the top of the panel where you enter posts) to avoid forum artefacts that lose characters that can be mis-interpreted

I don’t think there are many users of the forum that will look at ‘Patch’ and not look as ‘OSD’, so the suggestion to post there is unlikely to do more than create a parallel thread

Update-
in the last test I ran the script by hand without silent mode, it gave an error on the option
/postoobe “{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\setupcomplete.cmd”}”

modifying the script without this option, the test action worked.