Windows 10 (1903) to (1909)

Thanks! I’ve created a Fixlet with that relevance and will see how many are returned. I’ll download KB4517245 and add that as an Action and test.

I tested and it says the update isn’t applicable to your computer. So there must be another requirement. This was when installing windows10.0-kb4515384-x64_d7e55a2589b1c603138c533b27b0d1222de975db.msu

Im seeing the same thing… checking
Check to see if
exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4524569’” of wmi) as string
Is installed.

there is the problem Alexa… the 4517245 is not a standard download… I think I found it in .cab format…

After you see if it works, maybe you can post the CAB? Or is it within KB4515384?

I found the .cab file with a google search… Not sure about the source validity but anyway.
downloaded the file, renamed it to KB4517245.cab and then uploaded it to the server , then the actionscript looks like.

wait “{pathname of system folder}\DISM.exe” /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\KB4517245.cab”}"

action requires restart

After the restart, the endpoint shows the usual message about applying updates, reboots and then shows updating again and then , depending on the endpoint’s spec, within 3 mins, comes up and logs in with little or no other user interaction…

Please TEST it first before mass deployment.

After 30 minutes of my task status showing “Running”… I needed to add /NoRestart at the end of the DISM string.

2 Likes

With Alexa’s help and testing,. we believe we have this running correctly.

The Dismn command line needs to have /NoRestart and possibly /Quiet added to the end. I use both, I think Alexa doesn’t use the /Quiet.

The only “issue” I can see is if the current prerequisites are superseded, a “new” 1903 machine will only get the latest versions of the prerequisites rendering the machine. not relevant.

It also “completes” with a 3010 code (requires restart) even after it reboots, so just be aware of that.

2 Likes

@AlexaVonTess

My action now looks like
wait “{pathname of system folder}\DISM.exe” /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\KB4517245.cab”}" /NoRestart /Quiet
waithidden shutdown -r -t 0
action requires restart
When complete, it exits with a code of 0
I no not use the post action restart and it seems fine.

Are you saying that when you did use the Post-Action restart, you were having issue? Or you just didn’t like the 3010 exist code?

no post action issues… Just the 3010 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you please upload the fixlet to bigfix.me please? Or type in here the final relevance and actionscript please?
It would be very helpful.

@AlexaVonTess @Pete_F

Pete posted that already in this thread. Windows 10 (1903) to (1909)

So I used this as the relevance without changing anything except for the quotes which were giving syntax error. For some reason the one pete added are not accepted in relevance for bigfix.

name of operating system starts with “Win10”

exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4520390’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4521863’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4525419’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4524569’” of wmi) as string

exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4517389’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4522355’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4524570’” of wmi) as string OR exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4530684’” of wmi) as string

not exists ((string value of property “HotFixID” of it) of select objects “HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering where HotFixID = ‘KB4517245’” of wmi) as string

operating system as string contains “(1903)”

And used this for action: I found the .cab file from here: https://www.howto-connect.com/kb4517245-to-enable-windows-10-1909-feature-update/ and uploaded to software wizard and got the prefetch from there.

//**Begin Preparation Marker
// Download all specified files
begin prefetch block
  add prefetch item name=xxx sha1=xxx size=21337 url=SWDProtocol://xxx.0.0.1:52311/Uploads/xxx /kb4517245.cab.bfswd sha256=xxx
end prefetch block

wait “{pathname of system folder}\DISM.exe” /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"{pathname of client folder of current site & “__Download\KB4517245.cab”}" /NoRestart /Quiet
waithidden shutdown -r -t 0
action requires restart

Set the success criteria to “all lines of action script completed successfully”

It succeeded but I don’t see the pc being updated to 1909, it still show 1903. What did I miss?

@Pete_F

“__Download\KB4517245.cab”

Quotes around this are not the correct type… cutting and pasting from this forum does not translate into relevance/action correctly.

can you share the .cab file you have? Please

Has anyone else made any progress on this? I’m looking at using WSUS to deploy as there seems to already be a process in place to handle the update 1903 to 1909 but i’d rather not. Do we know if we will have an official solution from Bigfix for this?

I’m not sure what else you are looking for. Everything needed is in this post.

where do we get the .cab file from?

I was just looking for something more official with actual Microsoft download links.