What kind of patch Schedule and User options has worked best for you?

We are trying to start a patch schedule with our users to get a quicker success rate of updates and new program version installs. I am wondering what people here have done that you have found successful. This can include,

Are you using offers or messages?
What types of messages are you using?
What has been your strategy in dealing with an update that needs the users logged off to work, but the users rarely logoff or restart?
Other strategies that have been successful in getting the users to do their part when you must have them do something?

Thanks.

Hi @huffmans

We basically patch without the user knowing it. Otherwise they turn off there computer during patching, go offline or do a hard shutdown. We have the rule in our company that they need to reboot once a week. So we send a different action with relevance to check the uptime of the computer. If it’s longer than 4 days, the action becomes relevant (just an empty action with a reboot) as an offer which is available for 5 days. After that it’s a forced reboot, so in theory they have 9 days to reboot. We also published the patch calendar, so people know when they can expect the patches.

Thanks for the response. How do you handle updates that say they need the program closed for it to install properly. A force exit can make the update work but risks loosing data or interrupting important work on the users side.

As for the forced restart I am not getting the feeling like that will be possible. The last time I did an update that required a restart the amount of concern that was expressed about that requirement was quite large and I am not thinking that will be an option for us despite my arguments to the contrary. Thoughts?

Scott

You best option is deploy BigFix Offers. You can show a message before the action starts itself telling the user that he must close all applications related.