WebUI Hardware requirements - Clarification

Can I get clarification from IBM on the recommended HW requirements for a WebUI instance.

So according to this document:
https://www.ibm.com/software/reports/compatibility/clarity-reports/report/html/softwareReqsForProduct?deliverableId=BCF366D0799E11E5AF4444040E46D49B&osPlatforms=Windows

(Hardware Tab)

For an instance of 50,000 - 100,000 Endpoints.

For the BigFix Server it is recommending:
CPU: 12
Memory: 48 GB
Storage: 500 GB

The same page further down for WebUI and this doc:

indicates additionally for WebUI you should have:

BigFix WebUI ETL
CPU: +1
Memory: +4 GB

BigFix Web UI (Windows)
CPU: +6 CPU for 10 concurrent users
Memory: +4 GB for 10 concurrent users

So doing the math for CPU and RAM …
CPU
Base Server - CPU: 12
WebUI ETL - CPU: +1
WebUI (10 users) - CPU: +6

Total: 19 CPUs

MEMORY
Base Server: 48 GB
WebUI ETL: +4 GB
WebUI (10 users): +4 GB

Total: 56 GB Ram

For me to run WebUI for 50,000 - 100,000 systems and 10 concurrent users I need a system with…

19 CPUS
56 GB RAM

Does this mean I need a physical system with 19 physical CPUs?
or
Does this mean I need a systems with 19 Cores?
If 19 Cores is it the same specs for a virtual system.

Who has or runs a systems with 19 physical sockets?
Who can dedicate 19 cores to a single VM?

If this is a Remote WebUI do these same specs apply?
19 CPUs
56 GB Ram

1 Like

Hey @sbl-

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think you’re not gonna deploy the old WebUI at 50-100k endpoints right? That WebUI hardware requirement bit you’re listing is for WebUI v9.5.3, during the ETL days.

New requirements with direct database access should be here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSTK87_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.webui.doc/WebUI/Admin_Guide/c_hardware_requirements.html

So if I’m doing my math right at this late hour, I think on top of the normal BigFix Server requirements, you just add 2CPUs and 2GB of memory…

Which brings you up to… 14CPUs and 50GB of memory?

In terms of what the cores mean, whether you’re ok in a physical environment or ok with a virtual environment, I usually refer to the capacity and planning document authored by Mark over here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Performance%20%26%20Capacity%20Planning

Start reading on page 31 for the VCPU discussion.

All the assumptions there are for a collocated environment, so where WebUI, root server, and your sql server are running in the same place.

Hopefully that helps you out at least a little bit? It looks like you’re asking if the numbers change significantly when you go into the Remote WebUI scenario though right?

I think I can get back to you on that. From what I’ve seen with performance tests, the main action is going to be primarily at your DB server. That’s really where all the CPU activity is happening. So I don’t think the requirements change all that significantly. There’s not lot of ridiculous load we’re driving at the WebUI node application layer.

@sbl is your root server and DB server on the same box?

-Dex

@dexdexdex

The DB and Root Server are together on one box. I am looking for system specs to run a WebUI instance on a remote system that will manage between 50k to 100K endpoints.

@sbl

fyi all sizing content should be derived from the capacity planning guide that Dex references.

Some key points are:

1. We define cores including how to size for ht etc. We also size in terms of classic virtual CPU definitions.
  2. We provide sizing for the WebUI v1 and WebUI v2. The WebUI v2 requires fewer resources across the board. This was one of the goals.
  3. An easy way to go is: use the base WebUI sizing requirement for the standalone server, and add in enough for the OS and other workload overhead.
  4. Note our scale capabilities are different for Linux and Windows. For 100K we would recommend a Linux base.

Net is: An 8 ht core box would work well here.