WebGUI with such a Delayed Start

This is an existing installation that’s been in place for a few year. Our WebGUI is on its own server. Each time we reboot the server, for patching for example, we RDP into the server and the BES WebUI is clearly Running. But it always takes close to 15 minutes for the WebUI to show. Monitoring the service-app.log, datasync.log, framework.log, and api.log all remain in active until about 15 minutes; then they start logging, and that’s when I know the WebUI will soon be available.

It’s not a big deal because I know to expect it, but I just wanted to know if this is expected behavior. It seems something is happening in that 15 minutes, but I’ve not been able to identify any log or process to monitor.

Same here. I noticed it when I was replacing the SSL cert on the WebUI. I would restart the service and then WebUI wouldn’t actually start running until15min later.

I think I know what’s happening. It takes roughly 15 minutes for the WebUI service to adjust the file permissions on all of the WebUI directories. You can actually see this in the log file C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES WebUI\service-wrapper.log, where you’ll see entires like this:

Wed, 19 Feb 2020 14:48:25 -0800 – [WebUI] Begin adjusting File Ownership and Security Settings for C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES WebUI
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 14:53:28 -0800 – [WebUI] Finished adjusting File Ownership and Security Settings.

I have always felt this was super annoying too as somebody that restarts WebUI constantly. @AlanM was there when this first got implemented do we know if we can make this go faster?

1 Like

This still seems like an issue in v10.0.1 of the WebUI. Any update?

Idea created, please vote - https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFP-I-123